Underhood insulation clips

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
so I bought an underhood insulation for my 66 Barracuda. A few years back and when I was finally ready to open there is no clips to attach them. I contact the company and the woman appoligiese (did not need to after 2 years) and she was going to send them right out- 3 times now.... no clips. I’ve offered to buy them each call.
Anyhow:

Does anyone have pictures of the proper clips for underhood insulation for my 66’ Barracuda and who to buy them from?
Thanks-
Joe

That's what I used on the 67. Mine came in looking gray so spray bombed them with some matte black.
A tip putting them on...if you want. After banging my fingers on the first couple, I cut about four inches off a wooden broom handle. I put the clip at the hole, wood end over it, and then a wack on the other end with a rubber mallet. Worked like a charm.
A year later decided to touch up the hood inserts. I took long nose needle pliers, lined it up on the center tab, and gave it a close slow pull and they all popped out. I'd saved the broom handle so it was used again.

The ones that Dan showed you are the correct clips, but they are metal (rust) if you are worried about the correctness of the clips. I did not want to use metal clips on my hood insulation so I just went to the local bump shop in my area and they gave me a hand full of the modern day plastic clips (no rust) and they fit just fine. It's not the easiest to see them in the picture but the thing I liked about them the most is that if I have a fire under the hood (God forbid) the clips melt allowing the insulation to come down and smother out the fire.

z211.JPG

For the mat I used two straps of those gray house A/C straps with clothes pins to hold it in place when I put the clips in...

Cautionary comment: if you have repainted, restored Mope which is garage-kept or is in a desert environment, then great. But when I picked up my 67 cuda, it had been parked outside, possibly over grass/dirt for quite a few years. It had a factory insulated hood, also. What had happened in the case of my car, was the moisture must have condensed on the underside of the hood, eventually soaking the insulation. The insulation held that dampness against the underhood structure eventually rotting it out. I now have a straight hood which looks fine on the outside, but the bracing has at least a thousand pin holes or worse.

I have a set of the proper ones, but I just moved, so they may not get unpacked anytime soon. If you have time, I can send 'em to you for the cost shipping. But it could be a month or more

I bought the correct ones Dan posted and about broke my thumb trying to get them clipped in. I didn't use the procedure that zman used. I went to Napa and got some plastic Christmas trees. Easy to install and easy on the paint. They were even a Mopar application.

Last edited:
Glad to help. For ease of install: grasp clip at the centre with a pair of needle nose pliers. Squeeze lightly while pushing clip thru pad into hole in hood bracing.

I have had may b the same one my 68 383 cuda . cheap wrong incorrect mine would not work as same , mine from year one. they do not seem to sink in far enough. where . I bought a ton from all used what worked.

I have had may b the same one my 68 383 cuda . cheap wrong incorrect mine would not work as same , mine from year one. they do not seem to sink in far enough. where . I bought a ton from all used what worked.

What? You mean he doesn't need a new k frame?

rustyrat rod. WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT HOOD INSULATION CLIPS. please start again my Harley needs tuned this a good reasonnot far from u. why sir. b there.

-
Back