Unexpected Wiring Connection to Wiper Motor

-

charliec

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
'68 Dart.

I'm really confused about the wiring to the wiper motor. There is no connector between the bulkhead connector and the motor; the wires just run from the harness directly into the back end of the motor without even as much as a grommet. :realcrazy:

The old harness has only a short run (about 14") from the firewall bulkhead connector to the motor. There are 4 wires in the bundle going from the bulkhead connector to the motor - black, red, green and blue. Those wires plug into the bulkhead connector with blade connectors, but that is the only way to disconnect the motor from the harness. That just doesn't seem right. Is this an abberation from a PO, or did they actually come this way from the factory?
20230127_151846.jpg

20230125_165022.jpg

20230125_165013.jpg

2 speed motor?
I'm not sure. I don't know if they ever worked when I bought the car a LONG time ago. I located the switch, and it seems to have an on/off click and then a long (maybe 120 degrees) rotation clockwise before it stops. That seems to be a variable speed action????

I'm not sure. I don't know if they ever worked when I bought the car a LONG time ago. I located the switch, and it seems to have an on/off click and then a long (maybe 120 degrees) rotation clockwise before it stops. That seems to be a variable speed action????
Yep, I found a part number on it...2770378...which is variable speed switch.

You need to run over to MyMopar.com and download the correct year service manual. Some are Dodge, some are Plymouth. In addition to the wiring diagrams, there's a writeup in the section 8 text

Here is a 68 fish Factory drawing should be the same. Blue is 12V+. Think green is park, the black and red are control.

I do not have the breakout at the motor but look hard on the net and you find it!

Attachments

• 68 Barracuda Factory Wiring REV 2.pdf
    120 KB · Views: 84
Here is a 68 fish Factory drawing should be the same. Blue is 12V+. Think green is park, the black and red are control.

I do not have the breakout at the motor but look hard on the net and you find it!
That really helps. Thanks. This is way more helpful than the shop manual, especially with the color coding and the ability to turn off layers to isolate only the systems I'm looking for.

No one has responded to the specific question in my OP of the wiring going to the wiper motor. The wires come from that terminal block connector and run directly into the motor case...no terminal connections right at the motor. That terminal block connector in the photo is part of the whole engine bay and headlight harness. Has anyone seen this before? I think this might just be a homemade wiring job from a previous owner. I will have to cut the wires coming out of the motor and install connectors. Otherwise, i would have to install the motor with the whole dang harness attached.:realcrazy:

20230127_151918.jpg

That terminal block connector in the photo is part of the whole engine bay and headlight harness. Has anyone seen this before? I think this might just be a homemade wiring job from a previous owner. I will have to cut the wires coming out of the motor and install connectors. Otherwise, i would have to install the motor with the whole dang harness attached
That is normal.

The 2 speed has 3 wires going to that bulkhead connector.
3spd / variable has an iditional wire or 2.

As for the extra wiring connected to that bulkhead connector. The terminals come out of the plastic connectors very easily. No need to cut wires.

Example

Screenshot_20230201-113729.png

2822963 wiper motor 2 speed park bench test

As mentioned earlier get a wiring diagram it lists what wire should occupy which location in the bulkhead connector

yep all the 3 speed and variable speed set ups are like that in 1970

Where did you get that diagram. Very nice.
I cad them from the Shop manuals. Then convert to layered PDF's.

I have posted them here over and over again.

Last edited:
No one has responded to the specific question in my OP of the wiring going to the wiper motor. The wires come from that terminal block connector and run directly into the motor case...no terminal connections right at the motor.
I haven't answered because '67 is all I have focused on. However no additional connector at the motor seems to be typical, at least in that time frame. There's no additional connectors shown in the diagrams, are there?
So probably all that is missing is the grommet.

The assembly drawings may show more.

No one has responded to the specific question in my OP of the wiring going to the wiper motor.
Specifically

There are no connectors on the wiper motor.

You disconnect the wire/s from the bulkhead connector plastic housing.

-
Back