Unilug wheels ?

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I have a set of Unilug wheels. The center hole of the wheel is bigger than my hub. My question is this good to bolt on? Or do I need a hub centric spacer? I don't want vibration issues or worse.

I have a set of Unilug wheels. The center hole of the wheel is bigger than my hub. My question is this good to bolt on? Or do I need a hub centric spacer? I don't want vibration issues or worse.
What car? Large bolt? What wheels? Hub centric is a safer way to go.

Put them on and see.

Thousands and thousands and thousands of cars drove around on uni-lug wheels for decades.

Hub centric is nice, but imo overrated. Millions of cars have gone billions of miles with lug centric wheels.
Mopar engineers thought left hand lugs on the left side were important too.
Ive gone 50,000 miles on a set of wheels that I (ME) made unilug.

"Dual pattern" is not actually the same as "uni-lug".

I have those dual pattern turbines on my 1980 D-100.

They're fine.

I think they are factory, or at least dealer installed.

"Dual pattern" is not actually the same as "uni-lug".

I have those dual pattern turbines on my 1980 D-100.

They're fine.

I think they are factory, or at least dealer installed.
Agree, my semantics are faulty. I made mine dual pattern, not unilug. Thanks for clarification. I did have a set of unilug slots. Never a problem with them, either.

Last edited:
It totally depends on the style of unilug wheels they are. There are a couple of different styles. Do they have the oval lug nut holes with the recess around the holes for the offset washers? If that's the type you have, I would endorse running those as lug nut centric. If they only have the oval holes without the special washers that install into the recesses, then no, I would not recommend running that style as lug nut centric.

Last edited:
I remember buying hub centric adapter rings not 2 decades ago

I betcha if you know the hub size and your bore size you can get em off ebay for cheap

Dual pattern only work with one of the two patterns.

The larger pattern centers the wheel in the outboard area of the slot, the smaller pattern does so in the inner.

The shank of the lug nut is tight against the end radius.

Unlike uni, where you can have patterns that fall in between the inner and outer radius of the slot.

I had some unilug Cragars a long time ago. The kind with the offset washers inset. Never had a problem.

In the early mid 70’s I owned a franchise of Don Garlits. Called Don Garlits of Temple Terrace. I can’t tell how many non hub centric mags I sold. They were pretty all that way weather they were ET uni lug with special reversible washer for 5 on 4 1/2” or 5 on 4 3/4”. They made the wheel fit the bolt pattern not the hub. Can you imagine the inventory a shop would have to carry if they made wheels to fit all the different hub sizes and bolt patterns?

Even with uni, the slots and the given lug pattern only line up one way.....centered.

Physics dictates that, but to the average human brain, it's a bit baffling until you really think about it.

I had some unilug Cragars a long time ago. The kind with the offset washers inset. Never had a problem.

Just took mine off this year. Ran them for years(20+) with zero issues.......with a 470" low deck BB and 4 spd....and I was not nice to them!!

I picked up a set of 10 inch uni lug slots...I will likely make some hub centric rings for them before I use them...the real issue is finding a good performance tires in 15 inch

IPhone Pictures 1958.JPG

-
Back