Universal aftermarket power window kit install idea

-

Dragonsteel

Reaction score
I was bored tonight and thinking about my next wish list project for the 71' Dart.
There are universal power window regulator kits, but the problem I see is that
the door panel sits so close to the door on these A-body cars that you would not be able to hide the regulator mechanism. Then after looking at some pictures of the stock window regulator I noticed that there is a bend in the flat arm that mounts to the window glass and that got me thinking that if you increased the bend and put spacers on the window regulator so that it set deeper inside the door it might be possible to install the universal power window regulator kit on the inside of the door instead outside. Does this seem feasible? Am I on to something here? Would it impact the range of movement up or down on the door glass? I don't have any spare part laying around to check what clearance issues there may be or how much of a bend is in the stock regulator arm.

s-l1600.jpg

61swyzdYC+L._SL1001_.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 11.12.23 PM.png

Last edited:
I am adding power windows to my 65 Dart sedan delivery conversion. I am doing it the same ways as @66Dvert did on his Dart using factory Mopar parts. Check out his thread!

I was bored tonight and thinking about my next wish list project for the 71' Dart.
There are universal power window regulator kits, but the problem I see is that
the door panel sits so close to the door on these A-body cars that you would not be able to hide the regulator mechanism. Then after looking at some pictures of the stock window regulator I noticed that there is a bend in the flat arm that mounts to the window glass and that got me thinking that if you increased the bend and put spacers on the window regulator so that it set deeper inside the door it might be possible to install the universal power window regulator kit on the inside of the door instead outside. Does this seem feasible? Am I on to something here? Would it impact the range of movement up or down on the door glass? I don't have any spare part laying around to check what clearance issues there may be or how much of a bend is in the stock regulator arm.

View attachment 1715467019

View attachment 1715467020

View attachment 1715467025
I used electric life window regulators for the front doors, they bolt in and you can use the stock door panel. For the rear quarter windows I used the kits you have shown. The rear panels were modified to hide the regulator drive assembly, but for my purposes it didn't matter because I was re-upolstering the car. The "L" shaped bolster hides the motor assembly. You cannot put the motor inside the body because it will interfere with the window operation.
9477C142-BDD3-48E9-8300-2A36513F6686.jpeg

I used electric life window regulators for the front doors, they bolt in and you can use the stock door panel. For the rear quarter windows I used the kits you have shown. The rear panels were modified to hide the regulator drive assembly, but for my purposes it didn't matter because I was re-upolstering the car. The "L" shaped bolster hides the motor assembly. You cannot put the motor inside the body because it will interfere with the window operation.View attachment 1715467250
I have no intention of doing the rear windows just the front I would think that there would be room either at the bottom of the door or the area under vent window, the regulators in the universal kits are flexible.

-
Back