Universal flexible hoses?

-

SteveC124

Reaction score
7B5DEA76-5991-4C90-B2A5-FA6A2B42DBD9.png
Does anybody have any experience using a one size fits all radiator hose? Those are the ones I’m talking about. The new aluminum radiator I just got uses a 1 and 3/4 inch lower hose. The upper hose, water pump, and thermostat housing are all 1 and 1/2 inch. Do these hoses leak? Ive been the the auto parts stores a million times so I need another option here. Thanks

View attachment 1715387971 Does anybody have any experience using a one size fits all radiator hose? Those are the ones I’m talking about. The new aluminum radiator I just got uses a 1 and 3/4 inch lower hose. The upper hose, water pump, and thermostat housing are all 1 and 1/2 inch. Do these hoses leak? Ive been the the auto parts stores a million times so I need another option here. Thanks

I think that is just a casing for a regular hose.

I dunno, that looks kinda hokey to me. I may be missing something here, but what about using preformed rubber hoses from rock auto.

I dunno, that looks kinda hokey to me. I may be missing something here, but what about using preformed rubber hoses from rock auto.
this^ I've tried those flex hoses for radiators before and never had any luck with them. Either they pop off when warm or they deteriorate or suck close.

Do not install a ribbed universal hose,on the inlet side to the pump, on any performance engine. You will pull your hair out trying to solve an overheating condition that only exists because of that hose. Your water pump is a very good pusher pump but almost lousy at sucking. And especially lousy at sucking thru a; turbulent, too-small, and probably gonna be kinked up, hose.

EDIT
I'm not a fan of bling anyway.
I don't wear a watch,nor a ring, heck I even threw my eyeglasses away
and my 367 is just as plain. And you know why? cuz I drive the thing; in the rain and the snow an the sleet and the hail...... or at least I used to........ and all that kindofchit. And so it gets mighty dirty under the hood. Oh wait, the last time I cleaned under the hood was 2004,lol.

Last edited:
I'm betting you are going to have issues with the radiator end if you are doing a BB Abody. What is your application? Does the new radiator match the original configuration?

Those hoses work okay in a fairgrounds queen. They start to leak pretty quickly, and then you are constantly chasing the leak around.

If you plan on driving your car on anything approaching a regular basis, put normal rubber hoses on it.

Those hoses work okay in a fairgrounds queen. They start to leak pretty quickly, and then you are constantly chasing the leak around.

If you plan on driving your car on anything approaching a regular basis, put normal rubber hoses on it.

I don't see how a st.steel ribbed hose could collapse. I would think an upper one would be an ''arm burner'' if u had to work on it while hot . Never had one myself tho .

I don't see how a st.steel ribbed hose could collapse. I would think an upper one would be an ''arm burner'' if u had to work on it while hot . Never had one myself tho .

The ones I've seen have a thinner rubber inner hose inside the outer metal flexible casing.
Not what I want for a rad hose.

What's the application?
I'd bet someone here can come up with a part number...

Sorry for the late response, i have a slant 6 under the hood. It’s really a v8 radiator but I’m going to have a v8 in the car soon anyway.

Your v8 radiator has the top hose on the far left (driver) side? If so,,,
Take off the existing slant thermo housing that exits straight up, install a mopar v8 thermo housing so the exit is horizontal and facing to the side where the top radiator is. Go to local auto parts store, get a radiator hose that has a long length and a single 90 degree bend, cut to size as needed.

That sounds good for the upper hose. Now I really need advice for the lower hose...

Unless you must have that Chevy car show look I wouldn't use those hoses. Go to a Parts store with a basic shape and measurements for your hoses and but something that fits.

I bent up some coat hangers for the rough shape I needed, went to O’Reilly and explained to mgr I needed to look at all their hoses, bought several and returned what I didn’t use.... corrugated steel or rubber hoses don’t work very well imo....

See page 44 of this slant six drag car build thread,
has photos with part numbers and descriptions of upper and lower radiator hoses that connect a slant six to a v8 style aftermarket radiator

Covalt - "Project 65 Valiant" - Page 44 - Slant Six Forum

if the lower hose mentioned in the build thread does not work for you try a
Dayco 81261 flex hose, it has the correct end diameters to connect a v8 radiator to a slant six water pump.

Last edited:
-
Back