Universal Steering Collumn Info?

-
One thing you might want to be aware of with "GM style" wiring is that it likely does NOT have the "Mopar style" ignition bypass in the keyswitch, that is what I call "IGN2". ON GM, AMC, and Ford, this is/ was done by the extra terminal on the solenoid. When HEI came out, there was no longer a need for that, as no ballast resistor was used.

That switch MAY have a second dedicated ignition terminal, as Mopars the ign "run" goes dead in starting. You might want to try and work that out

ONE or two ways around this is to saddle a second relay, fired along with the starter relay, and use it's contacts for the bypass circuit

You can also use a large diode off the start relay

And, you could use later "Jeep" style starter relay, which has an extra contact

If you are using an ignition system that does NOT use a ballast resistor, there may not be a problem

One thing you might want to be aware of with "GM style" wiring is that it likely does NOT have the "Mopar style" ignition bypass in the keyswitch, that is what I call "IGN2". ON GM, AMC, and Ford, this is/ was done by the extra terminal on the solenoid. When HEI came out, there was no longer a need for that, as no ballast resistor was used.

That switch MAY have a second dedicated ignition terminal, as Mopars the ign "run" goes dead in starting. You might want to try and work that out

ONE or two ways around this is to saddle a second relay, fired along with the starter relay, and use it's contacts for the bypass circuit

You can also use a large diode off the start relay

And, you could use later "Jeep" style starter relay, which has an extra contact

If you are using an ignition system that does NOT use a ballast resistor, there may not be a problem

were using an ignition system without a ballast resistor, eliminating that was also a priority, im more converned about physically installing it and getting it to fit and bolt up than i am the electrical aspect, my wiring guy has that all taken care of :)

Main hurdle is the mounting of the column. Measure your opening and determine how a 32" column will fit. Consider the diameter of your original column and the 2" diameter of the new one. Then when you see how the new column will sit in the car, then think about how to connect your new column to your old box.

Main hurdle is the mounting of the column. Measure your opening and determine how a 32" column will fit. Consider the diameter of your original column and the 2" diameter of the new one. Then when you see how the new column will sit in the car, then think about how to connect your new column to your old box.
im doing the swap now using original lower floor mount and original upper mount also a borgenson joint 1 inch double d and 3/4 36 connects to the manual box will post a couple pix later on

im doing the swap now using original lower floor mount and original upper mount also a borgenson joint 1 inch double d and 3/4 36 connects to the manual box will post a couple pix later on

ooh thanks do take pics :D

-
Back