Universal wrench design

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
These work? marketed as a universal wrench....I guess the teeth prevent it from riding off the flats.

1670556964725.png

I think by "Universal", they mean it will round off any size nut or bolt equally well.
There's no flats, only teeth to tear the corners off. Like using a pipe wrench on your bolts, but not as firm of a grip.

I think it's safe to say that if they actually worked really well then everyone would have one instead of an entire tool box of wrenches.

Why!

I can see for an emergency tool kit while backpacking (light weight)

But for doing work on a car, more damage than help.

I have seen many "universal" tools over my 60 years, but what always works are real tools, from a semi quality or better source.

Those are just like other universal wrenches I have seen, awkward, cumbersome and don’t fit in small spaces except those look nut lethal.

They work, but they have to have a crapton of room all around them. Another stupid gimmick to sell a million of at $19.99 and make somebody rich.

I would believe that if the nut or bolt is really tight,these would be useless.
Maybe work on a bicycle,maybe.

They work very well. As a hammer maybe. And on square nuts. I have a goat wrench under the seat of my tractor, very handy. Similar idea.

I don't know Snap-On still advertises this but back in the late 70's they bragged about their "flank drive" which meant that the sockets and wrenches drove by putting force on the "flank" of the nut or bolt head, not on the corners. This tool would ONLY put force on the corners, and only 2 of them at that. Therefore, as others have suggested, it would round off the corners.

OK, so a fail. I thought so but the one I posted had much more aggressive teeth than the youtube vid. I think for an older Mopar, My old 1/2-9/16 combo box end wrench will cover 80% of the exterior fasteners.

Perfect Christmas gift for that guy that you don't like. LOL

If you must, and have the room, pretty hard to beat the original, USA made, lever release, Vise Grip brand pliers.........

Somewhere I've got one pair of my father's that is so old it is NOT "lever release"

If you must, and have the room, pretty hard to beat the original, USA made, lever release, Vise Grip brand pliers.........

Somewhere I've got one pair of my father's that is so old it is NOT "lever release"
Bad part is they aren’t made here anymore. Snapon did buy the rights to them and are producing them now. My dealer would not sell Snapon vice grips 2 years ago. Now they will due to the better design

I kinda like the robo-grip for a universal plier but vice grips sure have their uses! Like clamping a broken battery lead to a post or worse.....
1670815655452.png

Another huge wrench that looks like it would be great for only a bicycle axle nut, where the nuts are either SAE or metric and you got the clearance to use this.
6290bb5f-6637-429f-afca-e2a489023b3a_800x800.jpeg

-
Back