Unreal

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I for one like Facebook. I was pretty close to a few friends going through grammar and high school. Even though most are not in my area, it kinda feels like we're all back together again.

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
I used to be on a site years ago that was regional for Springfield, MO, motorcycle riders. It was great, really brought the community together.

Then Facebook came out, everybody dropped it for that, and the site died. Then the huge friends network fell apart because Facebook is...whatever it is.

The main reason I'm posting this is just to see how many posts I have.

Don't report me, bro.

For what it's worth, I'm on a certain gun site I won't name, too, and they don't have the like/agree stuff with the notifications, and it makes it difficult to keep a thread going. You post and then it's a bish trying to find out if your question got answered or if anybody even read it.

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I started a whiskey tasting group, a group for my wife's family, and a Class reunion group. Facebook is a good communication tool if used right.

RustyRatRod

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Some people like there “like” counts. As if it was something….. , whatever. Like it or don’t.
IDGAF
Posting for some of us isn't about the numbers. I couldn't care less about all that. It's about community and a sense of belonging. Camaraderie and all that good stuff. I have a few friends close by, but even being close by we don't get the chance to get together that often. In regards to "all my posts" I'm normally on the first page to wish someone happy birthday, congratulate them on running a new best number, getting married, having a baby and on and on. Normally I'm on the first page telling someone going through a tough time I'm adding them to our prayer list....and we really do. Also, whenever we have a fundraiser, I'm always there donating items to the cause, bumping the thread to keep it on top and have even been in charge of one or two. So I do spend time on other types of posts trying to bring a ray of sunshine into someone's life, albeit, however small. I recently made a rocker arm comparison on a page where someone was asking if big block rockers fit under stock valve covers and was admonished for it, because my experience was with small block rockers. In my mind it makes sense that if the small block rockers fit, so will the big block, so I chimed in. I thought the small block comparison was a decent one, as evidenced by another poster's comment after mine saying "I don't know much about big blocks but....", yet his post wasn't complained about. He was trying to help, too. I'm guilty of being too eager to help sometimes, I guess and people mistakenly take that as a "know it all" attitude and that couldn't be further from the truth. I've said time and again on here, what I know fits on the head of a pin compared to some. And that's very true. All I'm guilty of is trying to help.......and I do get frustrated sometimes and cuss too much. I ask God for forgiveness daily. Having so many health issues really limits what I can do and being online is one of my main activities. I'm most always on here, so when I see something I "think" I might can add too, I will. And yeah, I make the colorful comment sometimes, but what's wrong with trying to make someone smile? I guess there will always be those who try to see the bad in everything. I won't be one of those.

66fyssh

Don't Stop Believin'
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I for one like Facebook. I was pretty close to a few friends going through grammar and high school. Even though most are not in my area, it kinda feels like we're all back together again.

Same here. It's great for connecting with those school buddies. I left for the Air Force when I was 21 years old and never returned.

I also ran across my first wife and boy, am I happy that didn't work out, lol.

YY1

Reaction score
The audio site I'm on uses the same software as FxBO.

They only have a "like" along with "quote" and "reply".

No thanks, agree, or disagree.

Must be options in the config of the SW.

It also shows in my profile page, each time I like or reply to a post.
That's interesting. I can find a thread by what I've liked.

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The audio site I'm on uses the same software as FxBO.

They only have a "like" along with "quote" and "reply".

No thanks, agree, or disagree.

Must be options in the config of the SW.

It also shows in my profile page, each time I like or reply to a post.
That's interesting. I can find a thread by what I've liked.
Click on your name by the search box (upper right). There will be a option to view all your likes.

YY1

Reaction score
That's likes I've received (which I get alerts for).

I'm taking about likes I've given.

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Facebook was fun when it first came out and it was just people under 30 sharing their fun times and connecting. Once all the older people started joining and everybody started arguing about politics and other "serious" garbage around 2014-2016 it went to shit. You used to be able to pretty much say whatever the heck you wanted on there and you wouldn't have some old (or young) extremist snowflake dummy get offended and call you out. The groups are a joke too by-and-large, any moron can join a group and start spewing incorrect information, I don't bother with any of them anymore. FABO is way better than any FB Mopar group.

Regarding the original point of this thread... I'll chime in if I have useful information to add or it's a fun discussion but if people disagree I don't take it personally and just quietly leave the discussion. At the end of the day this is just a hobby for the vast majority of us and if someone wants to do it "wrong" go ahead and let them. I believe in letting people fail and learn from mistakes on their own as long as it doesn't affect their physical safety or cost them obscene amounts of money to where it seriously affects their life in a bad way, if they choose not to listen to advice from someone who's 'been there done that.' It's literally not worth my time to get involved with other people's problems if they aren't a known friend who I know would do the same to help me.

At my current rate it'll probably be another 3 years just to get up to 5,000 posts LMAO... and I've been here since 2008

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My HS class of '66 ( actually 60-70) on FB is a great way to keep up with all. Mostly good news, sometime sad.

I belong to many of the Mopar and a couple of AMC car sites on FB. All in all, a great group of enthusiasts like here and FBBO etc.

LIke the guy guy once said, "If I don't know the answr...I just make something up'!!??? Really????:poke:

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
My HS class of '66 ( actually 60-70) on FB is a great way to keep up with all. Mostly good news, sometime sad.

I belong to many of the Mopar and a couple of AMC car sites on FB. All in all, a great group of enthusiasts like here and FBBO etc.

LIke the guy guy once said, "If I don't know the answr...I just make something up'!!??? Really????:poke:

I can understand the benefit of connecting with friends from the past. I'm not interested in staying in touch with 99% of the people I grew up with lol. Got a handful of close friends from high school I try to stay in touch with who I'd die for but everyone else is just... meh. I used to be on FB to stay in touch with family because they live all over the world but the majority of them don't go on there anymore for the same reasons I don't lol, we use WhatsApp instead.

Maybe I should take a look again at some Mopar FB groups but the format drives me nuts too. I don't really know why but on here it's so much easier to keep track of information people post and recall the info I need with the Search function.

DionR

Reaction score
Facebook was fun when it first came out and it was just people under 30 sharing their fun times and connecting. Once all the older people started joining...

Kind of sounds like you are saying older people don't have fun or connect.

:poke:

At my current rate it'll probably be another 3 years just to get up to 5,000 posts LMAO... and I've been here since 2008

Just have to point out that I joined 5 months after you and you are about 1,400 posts ahead of me.

:lol:

RustyRatRod

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Facebook was fun when it first came out and it was just people under 30 sharing their fun times and connecting. Once all the older people started joining and everybody started arguing about politics and other "serious" garbage around 2014-2016 it went to shit. You used to be able to pretty much say whatever the heck you wanted on there and you wouldn't have some old (or young) extremist snowflake dummy get offended and call you out. The groups are a joke too by-and-large, any moron can join a group and start spewing incorrect information, I don't bother with any of them anymore. FABO is way better than any FB Mopar group.

Regarding the original point of this thread... I'll chime in if I have useful information to add or it's a fun discussion but if people disagree I don't take it personally and just quietly leave the discussion. At the end of the day this is just a hobby for the vast majority of us and if someone wants to do it "wrong" go ahead and let them. I believe in letting people fail and learn from mistakes on their own as long as it doesn't affect their physical safety or cost them obscene amounts of money to where it seriously affects their life in a bad way, if they choose not to listen to advice from someone who's 'been there done that.' It's literally not worth my time to get involved with other people's problems if they aren't a known friend who I know would do the same to help me.

I consider politics and the shape of our country to be very important issues, so yes, I share a lot of political views and items on Facebook. So much so that I'm in Facebook jail. Again. I'm not backing down, either. Those things are very important to ME.

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
I started a whiskey tasting group, a group for my wife's family, and a Class reunion group. Facebook is a good communication tool if used right.

I've got 3 facts for sale to the highest bidder, that's right folks, three whole facts, can I hear one dolla one dolla one dolla ONE DOLLAR! can I get two dolla two dolla two dolla TWO dolla to the man with the slanted eyes, do I hear three dolla three dolla three dolla.....

Bakerlite

Reaction score
Facebook jail.
I've heard this term before. I don't think being refused entry, is in fact being in "jail".
I see Facebook as just being an internet Saloon.. Get out of order and they are going to put you out on the sidewalk. You have the freedom to take your business somewhere else.
You are there to consume.. not throw pixel punches.
Problem is that we develop technology, faster than we develop ourselves.
It's simple...
Click bait, keep the user coming back, make $$ from putting advertising in front of their faces
We are "the product" and the internet has capitalized on that.
I think people need to step back, take a breath and see what a shit show the internet actually is..

Last edited:

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Kind of sounds like you are saying older people don't have fun or connect.

:poke:

Just have to point out that I joined 5 months after you and you are about 1,400 posts ahead of me.

:lol:

Lol not necessarily, it's just as many young people being boneheads about politics on there too. I don't know if it's a correlation it just seemed around the time "everyone" started using facebook the tone became a lot more serious and angry.

I do have more posts than you but I'd wager about half or more of them were made in the first few years after I joined when I was still in high school. Once I got a couple years into college I had other things to do besides mess around with and talk about Mopars lol. I know you're just messing around but it got me thinking.

I consider politics and the shape of our country to be very important issues, so yes, I share a lot of political views and items on Facebook. So much so that I'm in Facebook jail. Again. I'm not backing down, either. Those things are very important to ME.

I get that, I also think those issues are important. I've just found it's not worth the time, nobody really cares if they don't share the same views already.

Last edited:

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Let's turn the thread and not talk about politics at all. I am not hearing any direct comments about any particular party or politician but every post pulls the conversation in that direction. I move or delete dozens of threads every week that get out of hand like this one could in another post or two. I see it happen all to often.

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Let's turn the thread and not talk about politics at all. I am not hearing any direct comments about any particular party or politician but every post pulls the conversation in that direction. I move or delete dozens of threads every week that get out of hand like this one could in another post or two. I see it happen all to often.

I edited my last post down, was just talking about talking about... those things. No more lol.

Bakerlite

Reaction score
I've had a little think about this, trying to find a way to explain it, that's not too long winded and boring, so here it is.
When things are posted on the internet, that can't be proven in a court of law, then you have to be mindful of what's said on the internet. Being able to logically filter what you encounter on the net is where most people falter.
Some people now regard themselves as "influencers" on the net and that pretty much speaks for itself.

Bakerlite

Reaction score
Steve Jobs stole Windows from Xerox and Bill Gates stole it from Steve Jobs and that pretty much set the scene for the internet we know today..
Let me ask this. How many Ghosts do have on this forum?

RustyRatRod

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've heard this term before. I don't think being refused entry, is in fact being in "jail".
I see Facebook as just being an internet Saloon.. Get out of order and they are going to put you out on the sidewalk. You have the freedom to take your business somewhere else.
You are there to consume.. not throw pixel punches.
Problem is that we develop technology, faster than we develop ourselves.
It's simple...
Click bait, keep the user coming back, make $$ from putting advertising in front of their faces
We are "the product" and the internet has capitalized on that.
I think people need to step back, take a breath and see what a shit show the internet actually is..
I guess it depends on what your opinion of "out of order" is.