Unusual Color on 1966 Barracuda

-

73smurf

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently found/purchased a 1966 Barracuda, all original with the owners manual and the plastic card that identifies the owner. I have not seen the car in person but it is from a respectable friend, so i believe it is what he says it is, here is the thing, the car is originally a pale pink! he believes it may have been a special order car for a Mary Kay person. has anyone seen or heard of a very pale pink on the 66 Barracuda?

Wow, very unusual color to say the least.

Mary Kay was started in 1963 so it is possible.

Can't wait to see some pix....8)

Wow, very unusual color to say the least.

Mary Kay was started in 1963 so it is possible.

Can't wait to see some pix....8)

It is going to be a while...I leave for Baghdad within the next week, and wont be back till late summer, when i get back i will definately post some pictures!

Seen a few on ebay over the years.Not saying its factory for sure but i really
wouldnt think there would be too many people painting there 66 cudas THAT
shade of pink.

I've seen just a very few pale salmon or coral pinks. Marlins and Cadillacs mostly.
The hotter pink didn't take off until Sonny and Share Bono ordered matching hot pink Mustangs ( 67 I think ).

I have seen a first generation fish in pink and the owner swore it was factory. I forgot if he said it was a MK car but I have a feeling that he did. The paint was faded but it did look original to me (especially after seeing the jambs, under the hood and in the trunk).

I met a girl out here that had a pink 66 barracuda that was a playboy bunny car. She has documentation, iirc, that shows it was ordered for a bunny back then.

I met a girl out here that had a pink 66 barracuda that was a playboy bunny car. She has documentation, iirc, that shows it was ordered for a bunny back then.

That sounds right. I remember back in the early 1970's when the Playmate Of The Year was given a pink Pantera.

Yes, I saw a pink 66 Barracuda at a car show a couple of years ago and the owner claimed it to be a Playboy Bunny car. There were photos and other documentation to support that claim. You've proabably got a fairly rare item there!

here is your playboy 67 barracuda. the year before it was a 66 charger, then a 68 amx, followed by a 69 shelby gt 500...... click on the link to see others
http://www.playboy.com/playmates/features/playmate-of-the-year-cars/06.html

Snap1.jpg

I remember our local Ford dealer having 3 pink Mustangs on his lot in 1965. They were 6 cylinder stripper notchbacks with 3 speed transmissions. Anyway, the story from the dealership was that Hugh Hefner paid to have 500 Mustangs painted pink at the factory (smallest paint run Ford would do) so he could give one to the Playmate of the year. The other 499 were built as strippers and sent out to the dealer network for disposal at whatever they could get for them. Those cars sat on the lot for a long time but they were eventually sold. Wish I had been old enough (I was 12) and had the money and foresight to buy one to set aside for my retirement. Wonder what one of those would bring on Barrett-Jackoff now if it was put in storage right off the lot in 1965? Missed opportunities, the story of my life until now.

I think the early Barracuda's in pink had a paint code of 99 on the fender tag indicating a special order color. I've seen a couple pop up on ebay.

Don

I think the early Barracuda's in pink had a paint code of 99 on the fender tag indicating a special order color. I've seen a couple pop up on ebay.

Don

The pink 66 I saw at the car show had the 99 paint code. I didn't really believe it was painted pink at the factory when I first saw it so I checked the paint code. Then after closer examination it appeared to be factory paint.

I am glad i will be getting it, i would have gotten it no matter the color but it is cool to have something a bit unique!

My daughter has an original Pink 66 Barracuda. She also has a 67 factory Playboy Pink Mustang and they are about the same color. We have a Govier report for the Barracuda and it is a 999 paint code. It was sold new at Melrose Motors in California. It is a 273 car with automatic.

I will almost bet money that the paint code is 661 Light Mauve Poly my 66 Sport Fury was that color a real pale pink.

I really cant wait to see some pics! Its for sure a nice find just based on how rare it is. I just dont know that I could drive around in a pink fish, you are a better man than I!!!!

346378531.jpg

346378549.jpg

346379164.jpg

Here is what the 661 Mauve looks like. I got these off a c body site that I go to. They sent me these to show me what the color looked like.

I owned an all original '67 fastback that had original "Salmon Pink" interior. All original with 48,000 original miles on the 273 2 barrel/904 on the column. It actually was the most beautiful car I've ever owned by far. It was literly like a BRAND NEW CAR. No kidding. The most perfect car ever. Never saw any weather or anything. Always garaged. Anyway, that was about the weirdest color I'd ever seen on any cars interior. The exterior was a kinda bronze color. Or metalic dark brown. Anyway, that car got totaled on my 18th B-day back in the 80's. Someone T-boned me and hammard the passenger side of the car. Bent the frame like 4" and everything. What a shame.

I will almost bet money that the paint code is 661 Light Mauve Poly my 66 Sport Fury was that color a real pale pink.
I was scrolling down this thread reading every response asking myself if evcerybody had just forgotten Mauve.
The car is factory 661-Light Mauve Metallic. When it fades it becomes a pale pinkish color.

-
Back