Unusual Color on 1966 Barracuda

-
999 Paint code barracuda

1966 Barracuda Pink 038.jpg

Where would one find the number of Barracudas painted this 999?:read2:

I was scrolling down this thread reading every response asking myself if evcerybody had just forgotten Mauve.
The car is factory 661-Light Mauve Metallic. When it fades it becomes a pale pinkish color.

even this color would seem rare? i just havent seen that many pink barracudas out there...

OK - I own one of these Pink cars. I'll try and reply with info and ask a few questions.

One - the paint code is 999, not 99. Here is a pic of my vin:
fendertag.jpg

I have seen/heard/read about at least 10 different pink cars. ALL of them have had ties to the Bay Area, CA. I have yet to be able to confirm if it's been all from one single dealer, or just a scattering of Bay Area dealers.

This topic comes up way more than you would think, and based on how many cars get crushed, lost, and repainted (mine is repainted), my guess is the number is more than just a handful (maybe the same 500 quoted earlier in this thread).

Even if the cars were created so that one could be given to the Bunny of the year, there is for sure many more than 1 of them out there.

In terms of Bunny Car, Mary Kay, ect: I have yet to actually see or read any documentation on the subject. LOTS of speculation, but no real proof yet.

A couple folks posted in this thread that they have talked with people that have documentation - I'd love to get in-touch with them if they do. A website, with the posted documentation and other pics/stories about these cars would be great. I'd be happy to do the leg work on creating the site if we could post some documentation.

Here is one pic I got when I purchased my car before it was repainted:
pink_cuda2.jpg

There were only 6'295 287ci 4barrel Barracudas produced in 66 and 500 of them were pink? I would have speculated the color to be a little more limited than that...

What are the codes on your fender tag decoded as? i have the same codes, you just have two more than me, thanks

Here's a picture of the VIN plate on my 66. It also came from the same area, sold new at Melrose Motors.

Barracuda plate.jpg

There were only 6'295 287ci 4barrel Barracudas produced in 66 and 500 of them were pink? I would have speculated the color to be a little more limited than that...

What are the codes on your fender tag decoded as? i have the same codes, you just have two more than me, thanks

Good point about 500 likely being high. I guess my main point was that from my experience hearing and seeing so many cases of the 999 pink cars, that it's not on the single digits size of rare. Maybe 50?

In terms of the fender tag, it's black interior, 2brl V8, Auto. Only other odd thing about the car is that it has a targa roof - and I can confirm that not all the pink cars had this. I did hear about one supposedly pink formula S car that also had the targa roof that was seen at a car show up in the north bay, CA - however, I've never been able to track down the owners or see the car in person.

I wonder if Galien Govier could tell me how many were produced? my car came with the certicard and window sticker, and if i hunt, probably a biuld sheet, that should be enough for him to decode

OK - I own one of these Pink cars. I'll try and reply with info and ask a few questions.

One - the paint code is 999, not 99. Here is a pic of my vin:
fendertag.jpg

I noticed that both of the fender tags shown have "punched out" letters (one shown above). Can someone expound on these???

I wonder if Galien Govier could tell me how many were produced? my car came with the certicard and window sticker, and if i hunt, probably a biuld sheet, that should be enough for him to decode

he only knows what he has seen,,,chryslers historical records have been incorrect since day one,,,,

Baacuda! The punched out markings in the upper right corner was made by an inspector on the assembly line. What it mean is unknown but I have talked with two persons who worked in Detroit and at the LA plant and they told me this.

Anyone out there who has more info on the punch marks?

Punch marks are lil love hearts for the special pink cars.

I will almost bet money that the paint code is 661 Light Mauve Poly my 66 Sport Fury was that color a real pale pink.

I was thinking the same thing. I recently sold a 66 Cuda, that had that color from the factory (under "Petty Blue"). I think 66 was the only year for that color on the Cuda.

I have parted out 2 of these factory pink cars. To the best of my knowledge there were 60 of them sold only in the bay area. I still have both the fender tags for the 2 that I had, one of them was a formula s which is the only one that I have ever seen. Too bad the rust got to that one, probably the rarest 66 Barracuda there was.

thats interesting, i just got a 65 barracuda with the similar color, i dont have the data card thing, so i dont know if its the original color yet.

OK,
My turn now.
I am researching a 1965 Pink/999 paint code Barracuda for a friend.
I have found no proof on the Playmate/Mary Kay connection.... yet!
His car is as follows; Black interior, 273 Commndo motor, sold to a Reno, NV dealer.

Any help or info on these Pink beauties please let me know at
bruce@7071dartgt.net

Later,
Bruce B.

Another pic of Lisa Baker (1967 Playmate of the year) pink "999" Barracuda. Wanted to add to the conversation.

PMOY67_Cuda.jpg

bb66cuda!

What build date do you have on the fendertag? The ones on this thread shows May 13 and Mat 27. Might be a spring color for Barracuda. Can it be a anniversary of the Dodge le Femme they had 10 years earlier?

bb66cuda!

What build date do you have on the fendertag? The ones on this thread shows May 13 and Mat 27. Might be a spring color for Barracuda. Can it be a anniversary of the Dodge le Femme they had 10 years earlier?

My friends build date is May 26, 1965 as a matter of fact!

Interesting.....

Later,
Bruce B.

To the owners of these Barracudas, check if they all are produced at the LA plant? It might be a special dealer package cars for the west coast.

The one produced May 13 with SO # 40373 and the other one produced May 27 with SO#40500 gives a 127 cars diff. It might have been some 127 cars more than these ones.

Is there anyone who has a Plymouth dealer bullentin from March or April 1966?

This might be interested to solve....!

*Update*

The 1966 Barracuda has been delivered! when i get home i am going to hunt for a buildsheet, then i will be scanning the Fender tag, title, Vin and (if i find it) build sheet to Galien for a proper decoding!

1. where are build sheets found on 1966 Barracudas?

The hotter pink didn't take off until Sonny and Share Bono ordered matching hot pink Mustangs ( 67 I think ).

The Sonny & Cher Mustangs were custom built 65's customized by George Barris, they were matching but Sonny's was brown and gold while Cher's was pink and burgundy.

I met a girl out here that had a pink 66 barracuda that was a playboy bunny car. She has documentation, iirc, that shows it was ordered for a bunny back then.

They are Playmate cars,

4015570165_03753e19ef_o.jpg

-
Back