Unusual Color on 1966 Barracuda

-
There was an original pink '66 Barracuda in the car corral 2 years ago at the Mopars At The Strip show in Vegas. It sold about 1/2 before I got there or I would have bought it for my wife.
Thanks, Mark

They are Playmate cars,

4015570165_03753e19ef_o.jpg

I knew that at some point, someone would show up with proof that they were Playmate Cars. I am curious why it doesn't show up on any playmate car reference websites, I would really like to get specific information about production figures and so on.

*Update*

The 1966 Barracuda has been delivered! when i get home i am going to hunt for a buildsheet, then i will be scanning the Fender tag, title, Vin and (if i find it) build sheet to Galien for a proper decoding!

1. where are build sheets found on 1966 Barracudas?

Found mine under the rear seat. Remove the back(upright) and you will see two straps that are bolting the rear seat in place. (It was like that for my 66) Good luck!!!!

Also, could be on top of the glove box...under the dash. Under the carpet. maybe even inside the headliner.

Aloha!

Here is a list of PINK CARS given to Playboy Playmates starting in 1964:
1964 – Donna Michelle – Ford Mustang
1965 – Jo Collins – Sunbeam Tiger 260V8 Ford engine
1966 – Allison Parks – Dodge Charger 383 4 barrel
1967 – Lisa Baker – Plymouth Barracuda fastback 273V8
1968 – Angela Dorian – AMC AMX 290V8, AT
1969 – Connie Kreski – Shelby GT-500 fastback 428 Cobra Jet
1970 – Claudia Jennigs – Mercury Capri
1971 – Sharon Clark – Spectra 20 Ski Boat
1972 – Liv Lindeland Mercury – DeTomaso Pantera 351cid
1973 – Marilyn Cole – Volvo Sports Wagon
1974 – Cindi Wood – Mercedes 450SL

That list doesn't jive with the above 66 barracuda that is called the "Plymouth Playmate Barracuda"....the mystery continues!

on a side note, anyone with fender tags that have the 999B paint color on them, please post the complete data, i am going to try and build a small registry for it, thanks

Another pic of Lisa Baker (1967 Playmate of the year) pink "999" Barracuda. Wanted to add to the conversation.

That list doesn't jive with the above 66 barracuda that is called the "Plymouth Playmate Barracuda"....the mystery continues!

on a side note, anyone with fender tags that have the 999B paint color on them, please post the complete data, i am going to try and build a small registry for it, thanks

But it does jive with Lisa Baker having a 67' Barracuda in Playmate Pink.

wgillespie! Send me your email address and I can send you a copy of the DartCharger register for you. Hope it can help you out for your register!

Did Marilyn Cole get the short end of the stick or what??
Mark

They did have a paint color called MAUVE in 1966 that could look like a pale pink? My wife loves that color. Jayson
Hello All,

I recently found/purchased a 1966 Barracuda, all original with the owners manual and the plastic card that identifies the owner. I have not seen the car in person but it is from a respectable friend, so i believe it is what he says it is, here is the thing, the car is originally a pale pink! he believes it may have been a special order car for a Mary Kay person. has anyone seen or heard of a very pale pink on the 66 Barracuda?

Did Marilyn Cole get the short end of the stick or what??
You don't like the Volvo 1800ES sports wagon? It's a little weird looking, but certainly a very fine machine... Come to think of it, that's what I've heard a lot of people say about the early Barracudas. I wouldn't mind one of each of those in my garage.

Maybe a Volvo is the car she requested. Hmmm, I wonder how did they choose which cars to give which bunnies, anyway? Most women I've met are not really into cars, and wouldn't have much of an opinion other than popularity and color, but of course there are always exceptions.

- Erik

Here is a picture of a 1965 Barracuda I found on the internet. First 65 ever in this color!

MikeHess-Autorama.jpg

Thinking back I believe there is a pink barracuda you only see for a split second in the bullit chase.

As they get toward the water front almost half way through they pull through a curve with cars parked along the curb and there it is. I have to double check though. I know there are two 65 cudas in that scene though.

Here is a picture of a 1965 Barracuda I found on the internet. First 65 ever in this color!

I've seen the champagne pink 65's before, they're kind of rare but they are out there, my uncle parted one in Arizona for me and brought me the goodies off it back the St. Louis.

To the owners of these Barracudas, check if they all are produced at the LA plant? It might be a special dealer package cars for the west coast.

The one produced May 13 with SO # 40373 and the other one produced May 27 with SO#40500 gives a 127 cars diff. It might have been some 127 cars more than these ones.

Is there anyone who has a Plymouth dealer bullentin from March or April 1966?

This might be interested to solve....!
To add to the production numbers I have one of the cars with a 999 paint code with the production date of May 10th and SO#40371.

Have personally seen two 999 paint coded - pink cars. Both were wearing their original paint and were picked over as parts cars in rural North Carolina. They could have been playboy paint inspired cars but believe that the special order paint was available to anyone. Can't imagine that many bunnies that year were awarded with a pink fish.....

Saw a very reasonable one sell on the West Coast Craiglist.....wish I had purchased it....

Since there is talk of the Mauve cars. I guess I will post my faded Mauve 66 for reference:D

Attachments

• Formula%20S%2066%20Barracuda%20058.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,078
Spending some quality time cleaning up my Barracuda (finally lol) Changed all of the fluids, and the engine nearly started...however, the car is not getting fuel...have a fuel pump on the way, in the mean time, pulled out the interior, ordered a passenger area carpet kit, sent the seats to Mexico for upholstery, today i will wash all of the trim and console, in preparation for the interior showing up. a couple pictures below. This car has the Formula S dash, as well as the 4 barrel commando 273. Wish i could have found a build sheet, unfortunately all i got was scraps as there was a rat living in the car for the last few years...

Attachments

• 419889_3049690757976_1134438239_33227267_1642419185_n.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 916
  • DSC02227.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,017
  • DSC02228.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,091
I was scrolling down this thread reading every response asking myself if evcerybody had just forgotten Mauve.
The car is factory 661-Light Mauve Metallic. When it fades it becomes a pale pinkish color.
lol, I was thinking the same thing. I thought these fellows must be so young they don't remember this color. This is a color you would see more often on coronets, or at least I have...

Wow, i guess I should have gone all the way to the end of the thread, I stand corrected.....

This is all quite interesting. In looking at the advertisement someone posted, and the fact that the playmate received a 66 Dodge Charger in the given year of discussion, It seems plausible that this was a marketing campaign, "Go Plymouth Playmate", likely inspired by the Playboy Charger. Thanks to all contributors for the interesting info.

-
Back