Update on adjustable control arms

-

Guitar Jones

aka Angry Johnny
Reaction score
I've readjusted the heim joints in the Magnum Force upper control arms to put the rear all the way in and the front as far out as possible. I installed a set of RMS Chassis Components (from wwwbigblockdart.com website) adjustable strut rods and took it in for another alignment, this time on a laser alignment machine. The result? 6.9 degrees of positive caster, 0.1 degree positive camber and 0.3 degrees tow in.

I'm really excited about this, the car should practically steer itself down the track :D. Anyway the RMS strut rods have aluminum bushings at the front instead of rubber and a heim joint to allow the control arm to move unencumbered. You can actually shorten the rod to gain more positive caster.

They were a PITA to install but I think they will be well worth it as now the front wheels won't move rearward when braking. This should greatly increase the consistency when staging the car.

http://www.reillymotorsports.com/Me...MS&Product_Code=srod-a&Category_Code=strutrod

OK, here are some pics.

104469141.gif

104469144.gif

104469147.gif

104469151.gif

Well I thought I'll just cut the old strut rods and it will be a piece of cake to put the new ones in, wrong. You can't install the bushings separate because you can't get the pivot bolt in the bracket once the bushings are in the K frame. You have to install it assembled. The rear bolt goes through the control arm and threads into the rod, this isn't a straight shot, it's out of line a little meaning you have to screw the allen head bolt in while trying to hold the tube from turning but the tube has no wrench flats on it. Same deal with trying to adjust it and then the pivot bracket and heim joint have to be aligned just so because the heim joint twists as the control arm sweeps through its arc.

-
Back