Upper Ball Joint question

-

FlDart360

Reaction score
If I wanted to change the upper ball joint on my 1971 Dart

It looks like all you need is very large socket a cheater bar and some liquid wrench? Did I forget also a few @#$%^@@ of encouragement might be helpful too? Is there more to this?

Thanks

It takes a special socket.

The A body version is different than the B & E-body version which is larger, but this may depend some on model year & also if any parts were changed out in the cars past.

One way or the other, leave the A arms bolted to the car to remove the ball joint.

That will help hold the A arms in place while you break the threads loose on the ball joint.

Have the cars weight safely supported as well, you do not want it to land on you if you have to apply a lot of force.

Appreciate the offer but I’m quite a bit south of your location I live on the space coast near Melbourne. What really upsets me about this is my joint is not bad. I just have a split in my grease boot.

Appreciate the offer but I’m quite a bit south of your location I live on the space coast near Melbourne. What really upsets me about this is my joint is not bad. I just have a split in my grease boot.

What year? I have a Small ball joint socket you are welcome to borrow. Mail or UPS gets it there easily. Most parts stores rent them for nothing just a deposit refundable at return.

If you pulled it apart already don’t fret. I put this together cheap to get it done why the body went off for resto as I forgot to break them first. Piece of 4x6 with screw eyes. Gives you a nice downward pull to break them loose.

04DFF9EF-AF35-460A-A230-1F99E33F1942.jpeg

Last edited:
Don’t forget to check if some one had tacked welded one in previously! Ask my butt how I know.

I used a socket for a 4wd hub. I found it on here somewhere i cant remember the exact size but i will look at it in the morning and let you know.

Here is what i used its a 2 1/4 inch spindle socket.
Performance Tool W1269 1/2 Ton 4... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KNZV4/?tag=joeychgo-20
I will say this tho although it worked fine its not a perfect fit and is a little loose fitting. If I had more than one set to do or wanted to have the correct tool on hand for next time just pay the extra money and get the right one. I couldnt find one at the time and was in a hurry and just bought the cheapest thing that would work. And it does work good at least it did on mine.

Last edited:
This Specialty Ball Joint Socket Tool Set looks tempting at that price. Going to check first and see if my local auto parts store has this one on there loan a tool list first.

This Specialty Ball Joint Socket Tool Set looks tempting at that price. Going to check first and see if my local auto parts store has this one on there loan a tool list first.
Yea that is what id do if i did it over.

-
Back