Use in tank electric fuel pump to empty tank?

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
Wanting to empty the fuel tank, it is about 1/2 full and I have storage for the gas until I use it. What if I break one of the existing lines open, use a fitting to attach a length of braided flex hose that I have around and use the in tank fuel pump to empty the tank. I have a manual over ride on the fuel pump so I can run the pump without the motor being on. Obviously, no smoking, asking if this is a good idea.

I don't see why not. What's the PSI rating on the pump? Might get ready for some real high pressure fun. lol

Id keep the pump submerged to prevent the thing from seizing up. Ask an EFI boat owner. maybe override the pump first of every month for a few seconds. Just use some STABIL in the existing gas.

As long as the gas is going into a gas can that can be closed securely. And not into a 5 gallon bucket. You may need 2 gas cans for a 1/2 tank so be prepared.

I have used electric fuel pumps for that purpose for years, although they were external with twin lead & a couple alligator clips for power.

Wanting to empty the fuel tank, it is about 1/2 full and I have storage for the gas until I use it. What if I break one of the existing lines open, use a fitting to attach a length of braided flex hose that I have around and use the in tank fuel pump to empty the tank. I have a manual over ride on the fuel pump so I can run the pump without the motor being on. Obviously, no smoking, asking if this is a good idea.
Do it at work all the time, just know that when it starts speeding up/surging You don't want it to run more than a few seconds, otherwise as Pish said.... Stabil 360 either way, drain it or fill it to the brim, I've been filling Mine...

I also do it all the time,, just listen to the pump sound, it will tell you when you are running out. always in a large gas can! and a well ventilated area.

Just did it to my Suburban. Broke the line loose at the fuel filter put a hose on it bypassed the relay and let her go. I also have a set up with a electric pump with leads to drain regular tanks. Do not use a drop cord when doing this. Flash light only.

I just hooked up a standard automotive electric pump, maybe 6-7 lbs, and hooked it up to the line going to the standard pump location,,I also raised the rear end to be sure all the fuel would come out, or most of it anyway.

I , too, have done it many times. As others have said - only into a gas can or two. I will add two things - you may want to make a ground wire from the hose to the tank, to keep static electricity at bay, and at the least, where the hose enters the can, seal it with a rag. The raw gas being pumped in under pressure, will also cause vapor to form, and will quickly fill a garage to a point where the low/high explosive limits could be reached. Simply sealing off the opening by stuffing a rag around it, will greatly reduce that.

When I sold the engine and trans from my 68 Barracuda, it happened suddenly and unexpectedly. FABO guy looking for a good 318. I answered his wanted post and boom, engine and trans gone the very next Saturday.

That left me with about 15 gallons of premium in a car with no engine. I thought I'd siphon it out and burn it in my everyday driver. So I stuck a hose down the filler and started sucking. Yuck! Worse than Bud Lite and no joy.

Thought about it for awhile while staring at my empty engine compartment. I stuck a 5/16" I.D. hose on the steel fuel line that terminates on the front frame rail and put the other end into a 5 gal gas can thinking it may drain out. Nope, needed a push.

So I took a square shop rag, folded it in half, then half again so there were 4 layers. Then I popped the cuda quick release gas cap, and covered the filler pipe with the 4 layer shop rag. I then took my air hose with the blower tip and pushed it against the rag so it was slightly depressed into the filler neck. The cloth gave it somewhat of a seal without a lot of pressure. I gave it several short blasts of air to pressurize the tank and that started the siphoning process at the front. I left the gas cap open and when the gas can was almost full, pulled the hose from the can and raised it up, like top of the cowl height. That stopped the siphoning. Took me 3 times to empty the cuda tank. I just poured them into my Subaru and Jeep to burn it up.

Sounds weird but worked great. I was going to post it in the tools and tips section but never got around to it.

Last edited:
Just remembered this..

Would something like this work?

Costs about $25.00 Canadian and will work with any liquid. Also available on Amazon.

It's called a Hopkins 10803 Flow Tool Transfer pump.

Totally mechanical so no power/sparks to worry about.

tbn:ANd9GcTaE450CcL7oyXfJ6S6_lqtjItxOYW4Ahd37NzsiG9y3r9LY5dJ3ZKFiik_YctM_c1PVhkW4oOeLdg&usqp=CAc.png

I am going to drain the fuel tank tomorrow. The reason is I am adding in Meter Match unit. Back in 2016 when I put FI on the car I put a Tanks INC fuel level sensor in. It stays on full for a while then moves to near empty when there is still around 1/2 tank of gas. As the car was drag race only I did not really care. Now I have turned the 68 Barracuda back into a street car having an accurate fuel gauge would be nice to have. The Meter Match has a couple of options to calibrate the unit, but calibrating to an empty, then 1/2 full then full gas tank seems to be the most straightforward way to do it.

30852BCE-7E41-4D5D-A080-93DE89A97AD9.jpeg

-
Back