using a Direct Connection K-frame

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a 1970 Dart and have a DC K-frame that I want to use. Will the 1970 suspension parts (lower control arms, sway bar, etc) fit on this K-frame? It is based on the 1973 and up k-frame but modified to mount a big block.

Yup--except for sway bar. Only thing might not fit is if you have the 70 original anti-roll bar. Those went UNDER the K, the 73/ later went through the hollow K, tucked up more as it were. Actually you can mount your 70 bar under the 73 K just like it was originally on the 70

Other differences are spool vs pillow engine mounts

67 only K had the oddball idler arm mount

i think you have to use the center link, pitman, and idler arm off a 73 up too.

This depends on the steering box / pitman spline size. Those pieces must all go together but they will fit either the late or early K. Again, only difference is the 67 oddball idler arm

To sum this up the differences in the K are
1...67 only has the oddball 67 only idler mount
2...Early up through 72 K mounts the anti-sway bar under the K
3...Early K has pillow engine mounts
4...68/ later K can all use any idler except 67
5...73/ later K has spool mounts
6...73/ later K has anti roll bar going through hollow K. Anti-sway bars are shaped different early/ late

Either K series can use any upper A arm depending on your ball joint needs
Either K can use any year (67/ later) lower control arm depending on sway bar tabs if needed
Either K can use any center link setup so long as the "4 pieces" are kept as a set, the box, the pitman, idler, and center link
Either K can use any year tie rod ends setup

I don't know anything about B/RB pan/ center link clearance, understand those are issues

67Dart273 - just to clarify - as long as I use the whole set up off my original 70 dart K-frame, it will all bolt up to the later K-frame or I could use a whole set up from a 73 and later A-body as long as I used that whole set up including the steering box. That makes some sense since the DC K-frame is drilled for the early sway bar set up rather than the later one since most of the cars they were used on were earlier models. Thanks for the valuable explanation!

I would start by checking the steering box pitman shaft diameter. Depending on what box you want to use (condition, wear, whatever) that will determine what pitman/ center link/ idler you need to use. I'm not sure there is an advantage to either setup for a B/RB, but there might be. I don't know about that. Visit "BigBlockDart" they have some tech pages, might be something on that.............

If you want to use your existing 72 front end stuff it will all bolt up, did it on my 71. Didn't have a sway bar though so I cant comment on that.

Thanks for all the very useful input. I'll let you know how it worked out in a future post!

Put the k-member in with ALL of your original steering/suspension parts. You will not have any sort of problem. Early sway bar will fit the later k-member, but on most early k-members you cannot use the later sway bar.

-
Back