V-gate shifter with an A833 OD trans?

-

crawsfire

Reaction score
Anybody tried using the vgate with a 3 spd od trans?
s-l1600.jpg

It's possible, I would imagine, but the ratio spread is so bad that I would only consider doing it with rear gears that are 5 something or the other to ones. The only difference on linkage is that the 3rd and 4th lever on the side of the case is rotated 180 degrees opposite of the 1st to 2nd lever so that direct is third and the normal third that is now a .78:1 O.D. is 4th. The best thing you can do with an OD a-833 is follow AJ's lead and use a gear vendors overdrive to split the ratio drop unless you have either tractor gears, tractor crank, or both... Cool shifter, BTW!

Last edited:
Knowing the gear ratio splits, you ether work with it don’t use it. Sorry to all that have or promote the use of a GV/OD set up but I think it is largely stupid and overly expensive for little gain.
But I guess, it has its places..... where I don’t know....

It's possible, I would imagine, but the ratio spread is so bad that I would only consider doing it with rear gears that are 5 something or the other to ones. The only difference on linkage is that the 3rd and 4th lever on the side of the case is rotated 180 degrees opposite of the 1st to 2nd lever so that direct is third and the normal third that is now a .78:1 O.D. is 4th. The best thing you can do with an OD a-833 is follow AJ's lead and use a gear vendors overdrive to split the ratio drop unless you have either tractor gears, tractor crank, or both... Cool shifter, BTW!

KSorry to all that have or promote the use of a GV/OD set up but I think it is largely stupid and overly expensive for little gain.

GAWD I cannot agree more. The OD ratio sucks even compared to the old 833 OD. I think they are a huge waste of money. But people who have them have to say they like them to justify their purchase. lol

Side note- if you currently own that the boot is like finding hens teeth. It will catch you a nice sum if you ever decide to sell it...

JW

Side note- if you currently own that the boot is like finding hens teeth. It will catch you a nice sum if you ever decide to sell it...

JW
Yes, I own it, unfortunately there is a tear in the boot. I'm looking for an a-body mount. The one I have is for a b-body.

Yes, I own it, unfortunately there is a tear in the boot. I'm looking for an a-body mount. The one I have is for a b-body.

Rats lol.... That would just play out if you ever sold it. V-gates are one of those items that give a wow affect when people look in the interior of a street car.... Not sure the effort is worth your application unfortunately. Still a cool piece..

JW

If you have to make/modify linkage you may as well make/modify all of it and move the shifter on the mount so it's centered in the stock shifter hole.

I don't like cutting up the car to get the shifter in there, so if you make your own mount you can put the shifter anywhere you want and then make/modify the linkage so it gets the shifter hooked to the gear box.

The mr gasket version is or was easier to find a boot for. Last I checked the Mr gasket version boot was still made. Notice the reverse shift handle location.

The unobtanium boot is the hurst ram rod version. The ram rods reverse lever is beside the main shift lever.

Oh yes and Mr gaskets version was the first version until Hurst copied it. Eventually Mr gasket bought out Hurst.

Most people dont even realize what the shifter is and assume automatic lol

Now that I have that out of the way.

I run the hurst ramrod shifter with my overdrive 4 speed in my 67 dart. Originally ran it with 3.55s and regular 4 sp.
Switched to 4.30 with the 4 sp overdrive.

I had to make my own linkage rod and the overdrive lever. I also made my own mounting bracket as the shifter came from my dads challenger, which he sold in the early 80s.

Also there is no way in hell you will split your shifts on a hard launch with the gear vendors overdrive. Unless your damn good. Think about all the button pushing and shifting.
Ex
1st, button on, button off, second, button on, button off, 3rd, button on, button off, 4th, button on.

I find 1st is short, but when you have a stroker motor the rest of the gears are also short.

Last edited:
All the shift speed in the world won't make up for sending your engine speed back to idle every time you shift. Steeper rear gear ratios won't fix it either.

If you're just into street cred or want something different, do it to it, but have your excuses ready if it's time to race. Tell em your grandma asked you not to or that you're on parole for a jaywalking ticket or something.

Also there is no way in hell you will split your shifts on a hard launch with the gear vendors overdrive. Unless your damn good. Think about all the button pushing and shifting.
Ex
1st, button on, button off, second, button on, button off, 3rd, button on, button off, 4th, button on.
I can do that with 4.88s no big deal, and the 295s spin all the way to 80/90mph. It just takes a lil practice.But
3.55s and the Commando box work better.The rpm drop is ~1350 shifting at 6100. In the Eighth, there is only one stick-shift and three button jabs.
I start in first, launch and immediately hit the button. It shifts at just the right time, and the tires never stop spinning. Getting into second is a lil tricky, cuz there is a slight shift delay, and you cannot backshift under full power. So I hit the button, wait a split second and stab the clutch, and yank it into second .So now with 3.55s and 5000 in second, the car is doing 60 mph and yes the tires are still spinning. I buzz it up again and hit the button. Bam she's in and still spinning. Second over now gets me 93@6150 still spinning and my Eighth is over @7.92 seconds with a 60 ft of mid 2.4s ...So now I stick it in third still in over and the Rs fall to 4500, then into 4th over and 3200@93mph.
By now I'm on the brakes so backshifting.
So if the tires are spinning the whole way, how do I know when to shift cuz both the tack and speed-O are liars?
I don't. But if the tires are spinning it doesn't matter. And the 93 proves it. Imagine if I had traction and could center that 1350rpm split on the power peak, instead of almost bouncing off the rev-limiter set to 7200,lol.
I try to imagine what that sounded like from the bleachers. I mean it was 7000 rpm from ~60ft to the traps. I tossed the keys to my 20year old son and said now you try it. Good son that he is, he respectfully declined.
Dang I wanted to hear that bad.

Now lest you think my 230* cammed 367 is some freakish monster, I gotta tell you this; the track we raced on that day was pure crap. It was an old airport runway. It's flat alright, but the asphalt is rather sparse . I'm guessing that only 70% of every square inch is actual surface and the rest is air. So my 325s were floating along looking for asphalt, but finding only a little, and acting like 225s or something,lol. Out of four passes only one was good. I never went back there.

Last edited:
OP, if you are a streeter I gotta tell you, My V-gate was a lousy down-shifter. And guess what; All your performance street driving involves mostly; first to second, and second to first, and first to second,again. Repeat endlessly. throw in a third gear from time to time.But 3.55s take 1.92 second gear to over 75 mph
I tried really hard to love that V-Gate,but after I put the Mr-Gasket Bang H-pattern back in, I never missed that other one.

IMO, It's a jam and go shifter that takes some error factor out of the up shift. I think most would agree these shifters were never made to be ergonomic and comfortable to shift for casual street use. The tee handle when lined up with the gate finger grip is out of position for driver comfort. Some have modified it like the lever gate and pistol grip seen in another post.
Where the tee is best for me on mine.....
upload_2019-12-1_8-58-31.png

You likely would not be asking for help with it if you were not really wanting to try it. It takes some trial and error to find out if that shifter works for you out there. I don't think there's a rule one must downshift from 3rd to 2nd, then to 1st, at 30 mph coming to a stop sign a block or two away. Then too, shifting all the time in it self can get old for some if you just want to cruise around in comfort. If you find it's too much of a chore for you to lift the gate to get back into first gear, by all means change it out or go auto. Someone will surely buy or swap you for your V-gate!

-
Back