V4 360 Chrysler kit

-
Cool but why?
Gas mileage... Long gas lines during the Arab oil embargo is one reason. Gas was rationed often to 5 gallons per car or even less. Some cities/states had odd/even buying days based on the last # of your license tag. I could only buy 25 gallons of diesel at many truck stops... tough making time on a cross country trip.

Bruce Crower???

Wasn't Dave Crower's first name Dave???

So that is supposed to make a 360 into a 4 cylinder and only use half the cylinders??? How well harmonically balanced would that engine be like that??? Did they get the firing order correct???

That is cool.

Crower also made a 12:1 CR kit for pump gas but you had to use their cam. That was pretty cool too.

Bruce Crower???

So that is supposed to make a 360 into a 4 cylinder and only use half the cylinders??? How well harmonically balanced would that engine be like that??? Did they get the firing order correct???

Bruce and Dave are brothers. IIRC there was one or two other brothers. I could be mixed up on that though. Seems back in the Dave was into cam and valve train stuff and Bruce was into the clutch, injector, and weird stuff.

Wasn't Bruce the one that came up with the 5 stroke engine, It's been a while but it is still on YouTube.

Wasn't Bruce the one that came up with the 5 stroke engine, It's been a while but it is still on YouTube.

I think so. He also had other stuff. The Crower guys are pretty much mechanical geniuses.

I also think IIRC the Crower's were the first to use roller cam bearings. I also think they did a ball/stud 383 and possibly a Hemi too.

Check it out! it's a RARE NOS Crower V4 360 Chrysler kit. Just one sampleof the cool weirdo stuff the 70s brought.

Bruce Crower 8-to-4 DODGE 360 Cylinder Conversion Kit Balance Weights & Lifters | eBay

I remember when these came out in the "gas crunch" of the early 70's. I remember joking that a 220 CID 440 "did not sound like much fun!!!"

I did not realize these had "sliding" bob weights in the piston bores, I assumed they had clamp on bob weights that clamped to the crank. I also did not know about the 4 lifter blanks

Crower1.jpg

Crower2.jpg

Crower5.jpg

Last edited:
I guess you'd also have to block off the intake ports for the non running cylinders. Weird I never knew they ever made anything like that.

Long ago when the Circle track guys still had imaginations. Midget racers pretty much had just one limit, 3 liters or 3.3 liters, something like that. Cesco cut a SBC in half lengthwise, I think Crower did SBC crosswise, then of course the V-6s and the little all aluminun Olds V-8, and VWs and Corvairs, etc. Might very well have been a Midget creation, 180 cubes is right at 3 liters. Those V-4s sounded righteous. Seems like now Midgets are more regulated, perhaps by sponsorship $$$, nothing but 4 cylinders, and probably all the same imported variety. But they are still a gas to watch. Turn 1 after the green flag "Ping Pong Balls through a funnel". :icon_fU:

Says to continue to use the intake valves...to open a blind hole to the crankcase to the intake? That seems like the crankcase pressure would dilute your intake vacuum. Do them make compressors that use a V8 with 4 'dead' 2 cycle pump cylinders and a crazy cam? Mopar sells an A4 midget motor that bolts up to a LA pattern (drag version) thats based on half an LA motor, uses a W8-9/P5 head. Even a slant 4 looking motor.

Says to continue to use the intake valves...to open a blind hole to the crankcase to the intake? .

Yeh.......I did not like the sound of that..........Seems to me these "sliding bob weights" don't add to either longivity, reliability, OR fuel mileage!!

Bruce Crower???

You could look at a V8 as a pair of 4 cylinder engine in one block. Take a good look and note the firing order vs piston locations.

Looks like a lot of $$$ and work for probably very little gain in mpg

Says to continue to use the intake valves...to open a blind hole to the crankcase to the intake? That seems like the crankcase pressure would dilute your intake vacuum. Do them make compressors that use a V8 with 4 'dead' 2 cycle pump cylinders and a crazy cam? Mopar sells an A4 midget motor that bolts up to a LA pattern (drag version) thats based on half an LA motor, uses a W8-9/P5 head. Even a slant 4 looking motor.

Five or six years ago I saw a P5 headed four banger go 4.60's in the 1/8 n/a in a little bantam altered. IIRC it he said it weighed around 1600#.

Looks like a lot of $$$ and work for probably very little gain in mpg

I took a different route. The 440-6 in the '70 had "left town" in a spectacular way, and I had had a used 440 I bought (turned out to have 915 heads!!) in the car. I wanted to rebuild it and put it in my '64. So I bought a low miles 340 and swapped THAT into the '70 somewhere around '73. IT GOT 17.5 MPG and my driving was not that "careful!!"

This was taken either in 73 on leave or 74 after I was discharged. Car had the 340 in it then

On a side note, the guy I bought this from is a good friend, Navy, then. I had not seen him in person since about 76 or so, and just a couple months ago, he came up here to buy a new truck from Dave Smith Motors. So we got to sit down and have lunch!!! after 40 years!!!

81sruds.jpg

This is an OLD photo I snapped right after the swap. I was BROKE!! I think I paid 450 for the engine, and got the junkie to throw in a 318 B body single exhaust "to get going." Several months later I put Hedmans on

I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ANY COMMENTS!!!! ABOUT THE GOD DAMN FLEX HOSE!!! NONE!!!! KEEP THEM TO YOURSELF!!! SUCK IT UP!!! AND LIKE IT!!!

_mg_6209cs-jpg.jpg

I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ANY COMMENTS!!!! ABOUT THE GOD DAMN FLEX HOSE!!! NONE!!!! KEEP THEM TO YOURSELF!!! SUCK IT UP!!! AND LIKE IT!!!
It looks like there is something wrong with your thermostat housing. Like it threw up or something.

See, I didn't even mention your articulating rubber transfer tube. :poke:

It looks like there is something wrong with your thermostat housing. Like it threw up or something.

See, I didn't even mention your articulating rubber transfer tube. :poke:

I don't remember seeing your sorry *** standing there in 1973, helpful as ****, with a Gates/ Dayco pictorial catalogue and a half a pickup bed full of hoses to select from

-
Back