vacuum leak at throttle shaft?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
76 Roadrunner, 318 2 bbl. It started and idled great TILL I removed a too light return spring. I added a new OEM spring, and now will NOT idle. I checked at the throttle shaft and I see it has some play. Can not find that light spring to try it back. Would just a small amount of wobble at that shaft cause enough vacumm leak for such problem!??

Try turning the idle screw in, the tighter spring has probably pulled the throttle completely shut. Or at least that's my suspicion, FWIW.

I had a leak at the dead end of a throttle shaft on a Keihin , wallowed out bad. I glued a toothpaste cap to end so the shaft was still moveable. Thing idled like it was new again.

76 Roadrunner, 318 2 bbl. It started and idled great TILL I removed a too light return spring. I added a new OEM spring, and now will NOT idle. I checked at the throttle shaft and I see it has some play. Can not find that light spring to try it back. Would just a small amount of wobble at that shaft cause enough vacumm leak for such problem!??
Sure could

I had a leak at the dead end of a throttle shaft on a Keihin , wallowed out bad. I glued a toothpaste cap to end so the shaft was still moveable. Thing idled like it was new again.
How did you keep the toothpaste in the tube once you used the cap for the carb????

I messed with idle screw first. No help. I forgot to mention as I held throttle at about 1200 rpm I had wife spray the throttle shaft area with carb cleaner, rpm did increase abut 2-300. I even checked out the air/fuel screws, the timing, set the dist gap, changed the old fuel filter too. I have been doing the rust repair dance and just start it occasionally and let it warm up. Had been great till I changed out that too light return spring. Maybe that is why the previous owner had it there!!???
I found a 2 bbl Carter on the shelf that looks like a likely candidate. If not I will look for a local 4 bbl intake, prefer just an OEM heavy one! Cheap!!

O Really wants $200 plus Texas sales tax for a a remaded Carter bbd 2 barrel! Wow Can RRR get me a discount!!??????????????????// Maybe I can get the one on my shelf to work for now!!

O Really wants $200 plus Texas sales tax for a a remaded Carter bbd 2 barrel! Wow Can RRR get me a discount!!??????????????????// Maybe I can get the one on my shelf to work for now!!
I know they make a kit for Holleys to install a bushing in the throttle shaft hole????

You need a carter BBD? maybe I got one. Hold please.......

Sorry don't believe that the light spring to heavy spring changed the air bleeding in, and certainly not enough that a little more fuel on the mix screws wouldn't compensate. I mean if really bad you should see it's out of round.

But test it out. The toothpaste idea will do. Find something non-abrasive like that or a grease and dab it over the throttle shaft end so air can't get go through. Stick a peice of aluminum foil or gasket material on it. Then nothing is going to get sucked in there. Fire it up and see if you can get adjusted with it sealup like that.

I have worked on wornout chit my whole life, and have never seen a carb with a worn out throttle shaft, that couldn't be compensated for in other ways.
Shoot, I've seen garden-tillers with half the shaft gone, and still idled.
Think of it this way, as far as the throttle-shaft clearance is concerned nothing changed. The shaft has a certain diameter and the bushing a certain bore, and as far as the math is concerned, it don't matter where in the bushing the shaft is, the total difference in area is the same.
But what did change or may have changed, is the throttle blade position relative to the discharge ports and relative to the back wall. So now, instead of the air going past the discharge ports and picking up fuel, more of it is sneaking past the back side, and it is dry. So you just gotta compensate for that.
The primary defense is to just stretch out the first coil or two of that new spring and see if the sloppy shaft will drop home.
And if it comes to it, you can install a spring round the throttleshaft and pull it opposite to the primary spring, restoring the frontside clearance. The spring will eventually wear into the shaft so this is not a permanent fix.

So,
what has worked for me, is to close the throttle a bit to slam the door on the sneaking bs, then increase the fueling a tad on the front, and crank up the idle-timing a tad. Sometimes this results in a tip-in hesitation, if the accelerator-pump is lazy. If resetting the pump doesn't cure it, a bit higher float level probably will.
I could tell you about some other red-neck mods but something here should get you back in the ballpark.

Last edited:
Any cap that you can glue onto the end of the carb over the shaft will work. My personal favorite was always the \6 Holley 1920 that would leak fuel out from around the throttle shaft not only outside of the carburetor, but inside at the throttle plate, too.

Worn throttle shaft with idle inconsistancies is a common failing with the carter bbd. Best thing to do is replace the throttle plate or get a different carb. The aluminum base wears out before the. Shaft does, I tried to put a bushing in one once but didn’t have any luck.

Sorry don't believe that the light spring to heavy spring changed the air bleeding in, and certainly not enough that a little more fuel on the mix screws wouldn't compensate. I mean if really bad you should see it's out of round.

But test it out. The toothpaste idea will do. Find something non-abrasive like that or a grease and dab it over the throttle shaft end so air can't get go through. Stick a peice of aluminum foil or gasket material on it. Then nothing is going to get sucked in there. Fire it up and see if you can get adjusted with it sealup like that.

Got busy last couple of days but changed t a lighter return spring, stretched it some. Other day I had screwed to mix screws all the way in to see where it was set at. All I had room for was a stubby and with the AC compressor, AC upper rad. hose, and fuel lne, and return line to the canister, I missed count!! ha WEll all the non working A stuff is gone and out of my way!! I did not see any problem in the carbwith how the screw went in and out. I blew carb cleaner thru everything.
I have got it running at idle but not great. Maybe today I will have more time to fool with it!
I agree I can't see where the vacuum lose at the throttle shaft has caused such problem.

Last edited:
I Had another Carter 2 bbl on the shelf. Dropped it in and runs fine. Float problem maybe. I sprayed carb cleaner at the old carb and don't think it leaked much at the throttle shaft.
I throw nothing away. I bet the old one gets a clean, kit, an bushing one day.

-
Back