Valiant? (I'm embarrased to admit I don't know)

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Movie "Family Plot" 1976

PXL_20210109_221107141.MP.jpg

Thanks. I saw the v shaped logo on the back and the name on the side ended in a t

Nice looking car for a GM product. Got to say that blue purple-ish color looks hideous.

Those had the GM transaxle in the rear with independent rear suspension. You checked the transmission fluid by opening the trunk.

I knew it was a 62 Tempest immediately. My mom's first car was exactly like the one in the top pic, except is was the color of the one in zombywoof's post.

They made killer race cars with a 389 4 speed & a heavier rear axle in them.

Those had the GM transaxle in the rear with independent rear suspension
So I'm not seeing things. The rear tires seem to have a lot of camber.
Thought I was seeing things as I assumed it had a solid rear axel.

I had a 63 vert for awhile. had a 326 and that ropeshaft driveline/transaxle. Drove like a cloud. smooth sailing that one.

So I'm not seeing things. The rear tires seem to have a lot of camber.
Thought I was seeing things as I assumed it had a solid rear axel.

Das right! It's IRS. I believe it was the first on a domestic car.

Still can't wrap my head around that Rope Driveshaft .... kinda like a Dremel cable drive . Lol

I had a 63 vert for awhile. had a 326 and that ropeshaft driveline/transaxle. Drove like a cloud. smooth sailing that one.
Google Image Result for https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/streetside/3/18227/797361/790x1024/w/1963-pontiac-tempest
This is just like mine that I had in 1970 when I was 17. Exact same in and out with a White top. Torque tube, trans axle, 326 and three on the tree. Paid $75 for it and rebuilt the engine, (My first) then sold it for $150. Beat on it pretty hard and nothing broke. Not even the transaxle, lol. Really liked that car. Very quick machine. Steve

Review the movie "My Cousin Vinny." Comedy with the then hot-as-women-get Marissa Tomei Centered on reckless driving tire marks and the incorrect identification, because of whether/ or not the tire marks exhibited the changing tire track of an IRS

GM in those days, if nothing else, was "unique"

Chev had The Corvair, unique all in itself

Ponch had the Tempest, and as mentioned the thing initially used an IRS and transaxle, a "flex" drivesahft Porche 914 style, and a "slant 4" made from one of their V8's

Bleack had the 225 V6--Actually 198, and they offered the same 215 V8 the first year

Olds (F-85) had the little aluminum 215 V8 which they later sold to Rover and who used the thing for YEARS in their Land Rovers.

Neither Olds nor Buick were IRS they had conventional solid rear axles

Later on, Ponch offered a few Tempests with the rare OHC 6, but most I've seen were pushrod engines

Last edited:
Review the move "My Cousin Vinny." Comedy with the then hot-as-women-get Marissa Tome Centered on reckless driving tire marks and the incorrect identification, because of whether/ or not the tire marks exhibited the changing tire track of an IRS

GM in those days, if nothing else, was "unique"

Chev had The Corvair, unique all in itself

Ponch had the Tempest, and as mentioned the thing initially used an IRS and transaxle, a "flex" drivesahft Porche 914 style, and a "slant 4" made from one of their V8's

Bleack had the 225 V6--Actually 198, and they offered the same 215 V8 the first year

Olds (F-85) had the little aluminum 215 V8 which they later sold to Rover and who used the thing for YEARS in their Land Rovers.

Neither Olds nor Buick were IRS they had conventional solid rear axles

Later on, Ponch offered a few Tempests with the rare OHC 6, but most I've seen were pushrod engines

A lot of people think the Buick and Olds 215s were the same. They weren't. There were some pretty big differences. Number of head bolts, rocker assemblies, combustion chambers. Plus, Olds made a Turbo version called the Olds Turbo Rocket.

Check it out. They were pretty cool. 62 and 63 only I think.

TURBO ROCKET.jpg

A lot of people think the Buick and Olds 215s were the same. They weren't. There were some pretty big differences. Number of head bolts, rocker assemblies, combustion chambers. Plus, Olds made a Turbo version called the Olds Turbo Rocket.

Check it out. They were pretty cool. 62 and 63 only I think.

View attachment 1715667247
I have a 63 215 all aluminum engine. I have the 64 300 heads that everyone seems to want. I have been told that that putting the 300 heads is the hot ticket. I am not sure how to graft the two together because that one head bolt does not line up amongst a few other things. I have a bellhousing that mates to a T5. It would be a great setup to put into my S10 mini truck. Mini truckin!

-
Back