Value of 1969 340?

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
I have a '69 340 motor, disassembled but complete. Wondering what the average value might be for something like this?

I wont give numbers but take into consideration if it is ready to go back together or if it needs machined etc. I have one now, but i need to send the crank out, and have the heads gone over, and I haven't even checked the bore yet to see if the block needs to go overbore. so in my case I will sink money in it, and who knows what it will be worth in the end I may just break even:) its the numbers matching block for my car though. so there's that. I do think though value varies and it depends on "whats in it" so to speak. is it forged crank, 2.02 valves etc. X heads etc.

Condition is everything, especially the block. There are plenty of .040 over blocks out there. A good standard bore block will bring top dollar. Forged crank adds value but not as much as it used to since there are plenty of options on new cranks now and you have the stroker kits that are very popular. Same with the heads. If they are X they are valuable to the restoration crowd.

Condition is everything, especially the block. There are plenty of .040 over blocks out there. A good standard bore block will bring top dollar. Forged crank adds value but not as much as it used to since there are plenty of options on new cranks now and you have the stroker kits that are very popular. Same with the heads. If they are X they are valuable to the restoration crowd.
Yes, they are 2.02 X heads.

Condition and completeness is everything. My complete 72' 340 ended up using only the block and crank. Heads and rods were junk.

I bought a 68 complete standard bore for $1,000.00 two weeks ago. Haven’t torn it down, but like the earlier comments, it probably needs to be machined and new pistons. So I would say $800-$1500.

I paid $1,200 for a 68 340 then spent $3,800 rebuilding it. if I had it to do over I probably would have just bought a crate motor and saved a lot of time as mine wasn't matching #'s so that didn't matter.

I paid $1,200 for a 68 340 then spent $3,800 rebuilding it. if I had it to do over I probably would have just bought a crate motor and saved a lot of time as mine wasn't matching #'s so that didn't matter.

but then you wouldn't have a 340!

I agree, 340's are hard to come by. In the past 30 years I have only sold 2(to close friends) and I now have about 8 of them.

I think 1200-1500 is in the ballpark.....but I agree, I would keep it.

1500 to 2500
I had two 1969 340 for sale they were complete Carb to pan together 2500.00 sold fast I had people in line for them.

Here is an idea. IF you have engine building skills, have the machine work done, and then build it yourself with a slightly over ’stock’ cam. A complete, new, and freshly rebuilt engine will be worth more. Just a thought.

I have a '69 340 motor, disassembled but complete. Wondering what the average value might be for something like this?

I am not being a smartass here. Something is only worth what someone will willingly pay for it on the free market.

Back in 1993 or 1994, I ended up selling my completely restored '67 barracuda convertible for around $4,200. That car was absolutely beautiful.

If the engine is completely disassembled and you lack receipts for magnafluxing and sonic checking the cylinders then as far as I would be concerned, it is nothing but a gamble for a core. I would only risk $200 for it. If you can prove it is a good core, you may get a decent price.

Your challenge is to find a buyer for a 340. You are competing against every pick-n-pull with a 5.9 magnum or 360LA, every tom, dick and harry here, and every potential scammer on Craigslist.

Also, keep in mind, that if you build a 318 to or better than factory 340 specs, your butt-dyno and timeslips probably won't be able to tell the difference.

Not so fast...340's are "hysterical" and there are those that want a classic.
But lots of guys don't care about that and won't pay extra to get one.

Not so fast...340's are "hysterical" and there are those that want a classic.
But lots of guys don't care about that and won't pay extra to get one.

Well said save them for restoration's @ if you need an engine for cubic inches pluck a good early model 360 and build it !!
A 360 is like a 318 [ Not Mythical ] just a motor that will suit most needs.

Everytime I sell a part, I need it 6 months later, or at least it seems that way, and I have to pay more to replace it.

I agree, 340's are hard to come by. In the past 30 years I have only sold 2(to close friends) and I now have about 8 of them.
They always were "top shelf" to say the least. If you knew where one( a 340 engine) was for sale you had to get there first with cash in hand. They just didnt pop up for sale regularly and people held on to them. Some got raced dirt track roundy round and drag raced etc. The Chevy "DZ" 302 is another rare engine that doesn't appear often.

-
Back