Value of 67 Cuda 273/235 no.s matching engine

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m in the wrong section. Spoke today with a longtime friend who is thinking about selling a 273/235 out of a 67 Cuda. According to him the engine is complete down to the exhaust manifolds. Valve covers, carb, pulleys, distributor, air cleaner, he says the dizzy and carb still have the tags on them. Was pulled running. He is not selling it as a bolt in and go he is selling it as an engine with no major flaws that needs rings, bearings, gaskets, valve job etc.
I’d really like to know what you think. This is definitely not a fire sale !

Is this from the white car that was for sale about 10 years ago?

If it is not a running engine, then break down the parts.
Special parts: Valve covers, carb, intake, exhost?, Pistons, cam

Regular old standard 273 parts:
Block, heads, crank?, oil pan, front cover, harmonic balancer.

Some folks can't give a 273 away

Ebay price of the special parts and that will give you a number.

It's basically a core with desirable accessories. $600.00 IMO 65'

If it is not a running engine, then break down the parts.
Special parts: Valve covers, carb, intake, exhost?, Pistons, cam

Regular old standard 273 parts:
Block, heads, crank?, oil pan, front cover, harmonic balancer.

Some folks can't give a 273 away

Ebay price of the special parts and that will give you a number.
It is running without knocks or any major problems. It’s like buying a running used car here in fl no warranty

This is a Commando high compression, solid lifter, 4 barrel engine, right?

BTW, there is no such thing as a "matching numbers" engine in 1967.

However, if it's the factory original engine for the Barracuda, why is the friend selling it?

Does it have all the Commando specific parts?

This is a Commando high compression, solid lifter, 4 barrel engine, right?

BTW, there is no such thing as a "matching numbers" engine in 1967.

However, if it's the factory original engine for the Barracuda, why is the friend selling it?

Does it have all the Commando specific parts?
Yes commando specific parts
He needs $$ for medical procedures I will be going over to see I will post pics of parts and numbers

Like a lot of early a stuff, the market is small, but the right person might pay a lot for it to restore a car. If you are just looking for an engine, you can probably get a lot more performance buying a 360 for probably about the same money.

Like a lot of early a stuff, the market is small, but the right person might pay a lot for it to restore a car. If you are just looking for an engine, you can probably get a lot more performance buying a 360 for probably about the same money.
Hoping to find someone doing a restoration

Unless he can push a button and bust it off right where it is, it's not a running engine, it's a core. Post #6 summed it right up.

If it shows well (not greasy and gungy, air cleaner chrome nice etc) start at $1000. If the valve covers are clean and nice they go for $200. The air cleaner $100+. The dual point is worth $50+. The rockers and shafts are worth $100 or more. The intake $150+ and the core carb may be $100. Catching on?

It is true that a lot of people pulled those motors when they got tired and dropped in crate 360s, so your ideal customer is going to be someone who has acquired one of these conversions and wants to go back to factory spec. You find the dress-up accessories for sale fairly frequently, and that is all most people are after. It is difficult to do a factory perfect restoration on these engines because you can't buy the exact mechanical cam, or hi-compression pistons except in certain sizes, or even a good-fitting head gasket, so people figure "If I have to change the internals, might as well go big displacement". I am about reinstall mine in my fastback...I suppose if I were looking to buy a complete engine needing rebuild, I would be reluctant to go much more than the market price of the carb, intake, air cleaner, valve covers and distributor put together plus a standard 273 long block, since I would be shelling out for the rebuild anyway, and the block and heads are not unique. And then there is the usual reluctance for anybody to buy an engine outside of their area (because of shipping). I will put in a plug for it as a great running, quick revving engine when fresh.

With jumper cables and a gallon of gas it could be accomplished if someone was really interested

Well, could be and is be are two different things. I'm not runnin down what he's got. Just stating a fact. This FRESH 331 Hemi I have, for instance, is not running. It's a fresh rebuild, but not a running engine. By all rights....even though it's not, for someone looking at it, it's a painted core, because it doesn't run as is, where is. Either it's a running engine, or not.

And yes, "what's it worth" threads usually end up deleted because they turn into offers to buy and sell. You need a sale thread to be legal there.

If it shows well (not greasy and gungy, air cleaner chrome nice etc) start at $1000. If the valve covers are clean and nice they go for $200. The air cleaner $100+. The dual point is worth $50+. The rockers and shafts are worth $100 or more. The intake $150+ and the core carb may be $100. Catching on?
Thank you tool man, it’s nice to get a positive response.

Well, could be and is be are two different things. I'm not runnin down what he's got. Just stating a fact. This FRESH 331 Hemi I have, for instance, is not running. It's a fresh rebuild, but not a running engine. By all rights....even though it's not, for someone looking at it, it's a painted core, because it doesn't run as is, where is. Either it's a running engine, or not.
I coukd make it run and so could you. It was running when pulled.

An original Commando engine with all the goodies both external and internal is $750-1000. Easy

I don't think that's too unreasonable. Especially if it's clean. I mean....it's not a 340, but it is what it is. It's still a small block.....and they are excellent engines. All of them.

-
Back