value of (almost rolling) chassis BO29

-

Peter Wilson

Reaction score
I know of a verified BO automatic car . shell only , verified dash VIN . known history of car since new , previously cut up and butchered real bad . original roof , quarters , doors , no stamped numbers left in trunk area or rad support .no fender apron tag does have dash VIN rust free floor and torque boxes grafted into car , not much else there , No glass No Fiberglass No Interior No K member . just a bare shell . i was semi serious about buying the car . it belongs to a friend . I felt the value it would have taken for the owner to sell it was approx 60 to 70 g ( Canadian funds ) but when he heard that figure he said "not a chance" . I feel that realistically I cant make it a financially feasible project given that I basically have to source and buy everything for this car . I really want to get a BO or LO car and a rolling chassis project is probably the only way Ill be able to make it work financially , that is if I dont have to source and buy 95% of the unique parts and 100% of the driveline after my initial investment .... Am I mistaken here ? is a bare shell worth that kind of money ? ( and I mean real bare ).

There are no numbers to tie the body to the dash vin.No way I would pay big money for it....

Really all you would be buying is a title and dash vin when it comes down to it. Is there any way to track down every owner of the car? Then have each owner sign a document stating it is a real car? Also can you get pictures of the car from over the years.

In the 90s I sold a dash vin. BO29 wonder where it is now.

My friend does have the timeline of the car since new and pictures following the history and evolution of the car . this car was raced and butchered into a tube chassis car and eventually stripped and stored for years . most of the BO parts were disposed of or sold and traded off many years ago as the car changed configurations . the only BO specific parts that are left that are the acid dipped doors , my friend did say he has the mirror delete plate . hes a lot more knowledgable about these cars than I am . He is a good friend and I trust him . i just cant see spending that kind of $ for a car that needs everything ... but maybe Im out of touch on the values involved . Ive followed auction prices of complete cars and seen asking prices in Hemmings and on line and they are all over the place . the one plus here is that as much as this car needs , it can be brought back . and I realize that there are some rebodied cars in circulation out there but this car can be verified as real with pictures of the deconstruction through the years by the previous owners and the reconstruction of the shell to this point .

my best scenerio would be to find a rolling chassis that has all original fiberglass and BO specific parts and pay whatever for it then source the driveline as I can afford it but not too many rolling chassis BOs out there like that . ill keep buying lotto tickets I guess . lol

One Million Dollars.jpg

No way! Nothing there it's worth nothing. Sorry about your luck and his.

Also it's illegal to get a rolling chassis and switch. Federal crime, long time by,by. It's just not worth it.

so basically you would be spending a bunch of money for a VIN tag and a bunch of pictures with no way to physically prove they belong to the butchered body shell. if this is something you are wanting to dump a **** ton of money into, and you have no expectations on making any kind of profit, then I would say go for it , but I would move on from it.

It sounds like there needs to be some serious detective work done. Relying on "my friend said" is a disaster waiting to happen. If the BO29 car was parted out years back, it will be almost impossible to recover the parts. If the asking price is 60k to 70k, you will have more money in it than you will ever recover. Personally, I'd let it rest in peace.

Yea I remember a Dart VIN and fender tag sold for $1000 US quite a few years ago, 70's? At that time, I thought that was crazy money. I would wonder why the body numbers are gone? That would sound like a rebody to me as well. Didn't we just see an original LO car for sale on the board? I mean the race hemi engine is like 50-60K so you are going to have to spend a lot of money if you want a semi serious car. And this day and age, all the super stock cars are purpose built, funny car-pro stock cages, 10K rpm engines, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe the dash and VIN are from a different body....and did I read right....$60-$70,000 for a bare shell with just a VIN? That’s ridiculous....you could build a mint clone for less than that....and you can also enjoy a clone more too!

Its not worth much at all. You would have to put so much money into it. I would say a 1000.00 to or two nothing more than that.

Run. Do not even think about it. The guy may as well be advertising, "B029 in an envelope." All the pictures in the world cannot prove anything. Verified my eye!

You provide a rust free, straight shell and I'll build a clone for 80.

I know of a verified BO automatic car . shell only , verified dash VIN . known history of car since new , previously cut up and butchered real bad . original roof , quarters , doors , no stamped numbers left in trunk area or rad support .no fender apron tag does have dash VIN rust free floor and torque boxes grafted into car , not much else there , No glass No Fiberglass No Interior No K member . just a bare shell . i was semi serious about buying the car . it belongs to a friend . I felt the value it would have taken for the owner to sell it was approx 60 to 70 g ( Canadian funds ) but when he heard that figure he said "not a chance" . I feel that realistically I cant make it a financially feasible project given that I basically have to source and buy everything for this car . I really want to get a BO or LO car and a rolling chassis project is probably the only way Ill be able to make it work financially , that is if I dont have to source and buy 95% of the unique parts and 100% of the driveline after my initial investment .... Am I mistaken here ? is a bare shell worth that kind of money ? ( and I mean real bare ).
Can you post the VIN, that might answer a lot of questions.

Run. Do not even think about it. The guy may as well be advertising, "B029 in an envelope." All the pictures in the world cannot prove anything. Verified my eye!

A friend who is looking for low hanging fruit. People get upside down on most restorations. This one would take it to a new level. Just a set of headers if there are any even to be found will be thousands of dollars. This is a long shot OP. I would let it go....

JW

Also it's illegal to get a rolling chassis and switch. Federal crime, long time by,by. It's just not worth it.
-- I never said anything about switching anything . I said that I would be better off finding a BO rolling chassis with original BO parts and starting there . meaning to use that as a stating point instead of buying the stripped down car my friend has .

-
Back