Value of Stock vs. Modified to Increase Driveability

-

e50095

Reaction score
So I'm starting to help my brother with his project which is a 68 Barracuda convertible 318 2bbl, orange with a white top and white interior. It's rough in places (no trunk floor and needs quarters), and we've been talking about how modifications effect the value. For example, it has 10 inch drums all the way around and an 8 3/4 323 sure grip. I have a Kelsey Hayes disk setup and the correct sway bar for it, but I wonder how that would affect the value of the car as opposed to 11.75" rotors and big bolt pattern. I thought I'd put small bolt rallys on it, which are also in stock, but raised white letter BFG's are $600 a set, which blew me away. It makes me wonder if the stock look is really the way to go, versus a more powerful, better stopping, and possibly better looking version of the car. It has the original motor and trans, which hasn't been run since 1980.
At any rate, I'd appreciate any feedback about your take on the value of stock, not particularly rare and good looking vs. not so stock and much more fun and safe to drive. Appreciate it guys....

So I'm starting to help my brother with his project which is a 68 Barracuda convertible 318 2bbl, orange with a white top and white interior. It's rough in places (no trunk floor and needs quarters), and we've been talking about how modifications effect the value. For example, it has 10 inch drums all the way around and an 8 3/4 323 sure grip. I have a Kelsey Hayes disk setup and the correct sway bar for it, but I wonder how that would affect the value of the car as opposed to 11.75" rotors and big bolt pattern. I thought I'd put small bolt rallys on it, which are also in stock, but raised white letter BFG's are $600 a set, which blew me away. It makes me wonder if the stock look is really the way to go, versus a more powerful, better stopping, and possibly better looking version of the car. It has the original motor and trans, which hasn't been run since 1980.
At any rate, I'd appreciate any feedback about your take on the value of stock, not particularly rare and good looking vs. not so stock and much more fun and safe to drive. Appreciate it guys....
Assuming that the car is not intended to be a short term flip, I believe that a car should be built as the owner wants it and can afford to do so. When choices are made to impact the ‘cars value’ unless the car is a rare collectable car, it is usually a losing proposition.

I think it can go either way. If you're looking for pure resale forget it. These cars are cheaper to buy than build. It really comes down to what you want and what you can afford. The stock components are functional and give you a certain driving experience. There's plenty of upgrades now available that will definitely improve performance and safety. For me it comes down to functionality and performance. I have plenty stock components on my car. There's also a few performance upgrades I have made to it. 65'

I will answer the question with the understanding you are asking value in the sense of money value. At one time I had a stock 69 Barracuda 318 2 bbl. I have made changes to meet my interests and love the car as I made it. I believe in a short amount of time you will realize that a stock 318 car really isn't much interest to people in relation to your question of "value". The "stock" value is found in a more rare car.
On the other hand, how you "value" the thought of it being stock is a personal choice. Some people cringe at any change to stock.

As for the Kelsey Hayes disc brakes.....I put them in my car. They are good brakes. The reason I used them was to avoid the cost of switching everything to big bolt pattern. ie. wheels, rear end, etc.

Your car, your way.
you will get compelling arguments supporting both modified version and stock version. The only way you know for sure, is when you look at your car and no one is listening and you say to yourself “man I love this car” then you will know it has all the value in the world.

thanks brother, that's exactly what I was looking for. If it was a 340 car that might be a different story, so I guess when we put to bed the idea that I'm ruining or degrading value by making mods, the sky is the limit and we're really doing it for our own enjoyment. I appreciate it.

On a side note, on a recent trip to Florida to thaw out, I studied the cars available of Facebook Marketplace. Looking at them through the lens of "I will definitely get my money back and maybe much more" after putting a lot of effort into it, I think out of 100 cars there were 2 that I thought were good buys. I understand everybody is different, but a 74 dart with flat black bumpers, grill, ripped seats, and 8/10 paint is not a $14,500 car imho by any stretch of the imagination. That said, the guy that owned that car probably loves it and honestly believes in his price, so I'm not throwing stones. The one car I did like was a 70 Satellite that needed a bunch of metal work, but was perfect to build a road runner clone. To me that is a damn good looking car. I think it was 2k.

thanks brother, that's exactly what I was looking for. If it was a 340 car that might be a different story, so I guess when we put to bed the idea that I'm ruining or degrading value by making mods, the sky is the limit and we're really doing it for our own enjoyment. I appreciate it.

On a side note, on a recent trip to Florida to thaw out, I studied the cars available of Facebook Marketplace. Looking at them through the lens of "I will definitely get my money back and maybe much more" after putting a lot of effort into it, I think out of 100 cars there were 2 that I thought were good buys. I understand everybody is different, but a 74 dart with flat black bumpers, grill, ripped seats, and 8/10 paint is not a $14,500 car imho by any stretch of the imagination. That said, the guy that owned that car probably loves it and honestly believes in his price, so I'm not throwing stones. The one car I did like was a 70 Satellite that needed a bunch of metal work, but was perfect to build a road runner clone. To me that is a damn good looking car. I think it was 2k.

I agree 98% of cars on CL or FB Marketplace are way overpriced. I see more done or sorta done cars that are way more reasonable for what they are.
I also feel that the lower end cars/projects are hard to sell period because so many in that price group of buyer have NO money, have to try to trade you their wore out worthless 2001 Nissan whatever and so many have so little knowledge of anything.
Our old cars are hobbies to be enjoyed. But I do not enjoy putting more $$$ is a car than I can sell it for when I decide to let someone else hopefully enjoy it.

I may be wrong but I think it’s more spendy to go original than modified. If your brother wants a nice cruiser I’d go with upgrades

Fix it up like yall want to. you start applying other rules to your build and you'll never be happy with it.

I will throw a quick spin on this. I am 30 years old and bought a 1972 Duster for more than I should have based on what and how much of it was needed to bring it up to something safe and good. So I crunch the value number only to be sure I spend in the right places. My car is original slant 6 that has been swapped to 340/727/8.75, and still retained slant k frame, suspension, and brakes. So my special case is that the value is in what it has become, so I decided power disc brake setup correct for 1973, 5x4.5 pattern 15” wheels, new beefy suspension, and interior including correct bucket seats. My decision is what I want is the 1972 340 Duster that could be bought... used in the late 70s early 80s, but can actually make a turn or stop with today’s traffic.

As a younger person, I will say all the stick shift cars that everyone wanted back then and now, for the younger the collector, they can’t drive stick shift... so automatics will probably be more valuable than stick in another 5-10 years... If muscle cars are still valuable...

If you enjoy stick shift and plan to keep it, build it that way, cause the value you put in it for yourself is more important cause the future is uncertain.

PS: I chose automatic for my car not because I can’t shift manuals, but because I don’t want to pay big money for a stick shift when I don’t drive stick shift enough to be good at it... maybe some day...

The market on classic cars especially muscle cars and especially mopars is still pretty hot. It will always be tied to the economy somewhat because these are not essential and as wrenching oriented buyers continue to age and the new generation grows up on instant gratification I have to believe that the market will get even tighter. But as the second owner of a 1970 340 swinger that I have continued to improve my car myself direction has been to keep as much of the interior and exterior stock appearing and do upgrades that don't include anything that a new buyer may want to change back to stock form. But I also totally agree your car your choice but I would add your opinion may change over time and what seems like a really good idea today may make you scratch your head later.

Casey you bring up a great point. What will happen 5-10 or even 20 years from now. I had read that 55-57 Chevies are expected to start dropping in value like a stone going forward. I can see it, todays youth don't care anything about those cars. Even watching the VinWiki channel on youtube, a few of the guys I like most in regard to storytelling are experts on every Lamborghini, Ferrari, and BMW ever built. One of the cars I saw in my Florida facebook search was a 49 Plymouth 4 door with horribly rusty floors. I think he wanted 4200 or so for that car. I don't think it's worth that now, but in 10 years it might have almost no value at all, save for that one person that finds it cool. Maybe the antique car hobby in general will take a few steps backwards. I guess we'll see. I love my brothers Barracuda, but my 13 year old son could care less about it or any car for that matter. At 13, I was intrigued by old cars, so likely the world is a changin'....

Best advice. I drove mine and determined what felt like crap to me... and that was stopping, turning dip, and bottoming out the front suspension, among other things... If you don’t like the experience, neither will anyone else.

I had my Duster up to 55 mph last fall after I first bought it seeing what I had and needed, after getting it on the lift to make those upgrades I wondered how I didn’t die as bad as some of the car was bolted together previously LOL.

Casey you bring up a great point. What will happen 5-10 or even 20 years from now. I had read that 55-57 Chevies are expected to start dropping in value like a stone going forward. I can see it, todays youth don't care anything about those cars. Even watching the VinWiki channel on youtube, a few of the guys I like most in regard to storytelling are experts on every Lamborghini, Ferrari, and BMW ever built. One of the cars I saw in my Florida facebook search was a 49 Plymouth 4 door with horribly rusty floors. I think he wanted 4200 or so for that car. I don't think it's worth that now, but in 10 years it might have almost no value at all, save for that one person that finds it cool. Maybe the antique car hobby in general will take a few steps backwards. I guess we'll see. I love my brothers Barracuda, but my 13 year old son could care less about it or any car for that matter. At 13, I was intrigued by old cars, so likely the world is a changin'....

I wouldn't make the total blanket statement about today's youth not caring. I know several young guys around here who love the older cars. Thing is, as far as value, you're right. There just won't be as many guys that like those cars as the babyboomers die off. Plus, unfortunately, the younger generation hasn't been as interested in learning about the older cars from the babyboomer crowd.

I know all of that. My buddy has a 426 Hemi and trusts no one to work on it because no one knows how... so we pulled it apart and did some upgrades on it together so that I would know how to work on it because they are a little different... but dual 4 barrels, 700 hp, a stick shift, and stock tires... ya, no one normal can handle that... so he sees that as a losing investment at this point, unless you get younger people wrenching on these cars. Once the older generations that grew up wrenching and driving these cars are gone, no one will want them because no one will know how to work on them... or even have a personal connection to them.

Classic Mopar - $20 grand to play
Honda - $5000 to play

Economics of an 18 year old... not enough to play with the older cars, interest may be there but economics require starting elsewhere, and if you start in Honda, your heart will soon be in Honda’s.

If you find a guy with a Classic Mopar and he hands you you keys and says bring it back in one piece every time and one day this will be yours... you will fall in love with the Mopar...

I do this with my tractors as I have gotten older. I used to not trust anyone to play with my “toys” for fear of them breaking them. Now I have figured it out, my fear was no money to fix my “toys” so now that I can afford it, I trust younger people to play with some of them and if it breaks, shrug it off... very important. If a gear strips always claim it was about to go anyway and not to worry. Been there and done that. Must give positive experiences to others that show even a little interest... otherwise, you are part of the devaluation process... ok, I’m done talking.

Yep, I work in a crew room with 11 hard-working young men from the ages of 30 to 45. And almost all of them will comment on my car and genuinely seem to love it, but not one can have a technical conversation about it. My son is 35 and has an SRT Challenger that he does all the work on and brought over with his new turbo in his trunk the other night. He used to help me with the Dart all the time when he was growing up and lived with me and loves my car no doubt but he is a dying breed and is definitely moving in a somewhat different direction . But it is at least a Mopar and it is definitely badass!

318 car. Do what ya want to it. As long as the mods are tasteful and functional it should Only increase value. There is a limit though where it being a 318 car will cap it's value.

Classic Mopar - $20 grand to play
Honda - $5000 to play

Economics of an 18 year old... not enough to play with the older cars, interest may be there but economics require starting elsewhere, and if you start in Honda, your heart will soon be in Honda’s.

Bingo. I've been saying that for years but oldheads just can't grasp that concept for some reason.

To add to the above- I attended a car show at the local High School. Many nice vintage cars there as well as some new Mustangs and Camero's. The football game ended and all the kids came through the show. The only cars to get attention were the new cars.

To add to the above- I attended a car show at the local High School. Many nice vintage cars there as well as some new Mustangs and Camero's. The football game ended and all the kids came through the show. The only cars to get attention were the new cars.

That's what they have grown up with. Seems normal to me.

-
Back