value.

-

Miami Dolphins

El Diablo
Reaction score
Good afternoon;
I have a 1971 H code 340 4 speed Demon, all original execept it has a 1969 stock 340 motor. My question is would it be worth looking for a 1971 340 knowing its still will not be numbers matching but correct year or leave it with the 69 motor.?
Thank you.

Its your car its up to you but for guys that care a date correct motor is next best to numbers matching.
If it was me Id trade the 69 for a complete running 71.
I don't think there would be a value change.
If u do swap make sure you get all the proper year spacers pulleys etc

I'd leave the 69 in there, cuz you can drive the snot out of it, without worrying about wrecking your numbers matching priceless piece. Then spend the winter shopping for a correctly date-coded block to stick in the attic.

There are two types of cars, the numbers matching, date coded, done as the factory did, and super rare option cars, and then there is us.

There are two types of cars, the numbers matching, date coded, done as the factory did, and super rare option cars, and then there is us.

One picture, two cars, two descriptions:
2lu5n34.jpg

"22,000 original miles, every possibly single stinking thing that COULD be numbers matching on it is numbers matching (or original), plus, it has the original bias-ply spare tire in the trunk."

"47,000k unverified miles, 1989 roller cam replacement 360 under the hood due to a beat 318 (my bet is 247,000k), seat frames recovered in solid tan vinyl, the rim in the trunk is from a completely different vehicle."

Which is which? And would it make a difference?

-Kurt

unless you get unbelievably lucky it'll always be a non-#'s matching car - run it as it is and enjoy it - people who are that picky won't pay the bucks for anything but 100% #'s matching and that would be the reason to go that route - added value, right?

One picture, two cars, two descriptions:
2lu5n34.jpg

"22,000 original miles, every possibly single stinking thing that COULD be numbers matching on it is numbers matching (or original), plus, it has the original bias-ply spare tire in the trunk."

"47,000k unverified miles, 1989 roller cam replacement 360 under the hood due to a beat 318 (my bet is 247,000k), seat frames recovered in solid tan vinyl, the rim in the trunk is from a completely different vehicle."

Which is which? And would it make a difference?

-Kurt

Two very nice cars there.
Neither car is completely original on the outside at least.
The '69 Valiant would not have trim rings and dog dish hubcaps, and the '68 Satellite would not have come with 15'' cop rims.
My guess is that the Valiant is the 22,000 mile car.
Love the more door cars, i wish they were more appreciated by most people.
Thanks for posting the pics!
And to answer your question, to me anyway, it doesn't matter.

Two very nice cars there.
Neither car is completely original on the outside at least.
The '69 Valiant would not have trim rings and dog dish hubcaps, and the '68 Satellite would not have come with 15'' cop rims.
My guess is that the Valiant is the 22,000 mile car.
Love the more door cars, i wish they were more appreciated by most people.
Thanks for posting the pics!
And to answer your question, to me anyway, it doesn't matter.

You got it right (and I figured the police spec rims would give the Satellite away).

This is the first time I've heard that the Valiant's "Plymouth Division" hub caps are wrong - the trim rings, yes, but haven't heard that of the centers. Have a moment to educate me here? New thread? Let me know. I have the original built sheet in full, if that helps.

EDIT: Build sheet has code 88 for the caps under "Wh Cov." Far as I know, 88 = standard dog dishers:

2zri98l.jpg

-Kurt

-
Back