valve bodies cracking?

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
has anyone ever heard of a valve body cracking? the guy from mo-par city said they can crack and to make sure you use a magnify glass to look for cracks.. and if its cracked its junk and will not operate correctly

No, I haven't heard that. Did they develop a new plastic valve body while I wasn't looking?

Never heard it either, but on a grenaded trans could be another story.

well the guy said they can crack internally near the balls inside and a few other areas.. i dont really understand it but thought i would ask considering its not a wear item.

There's no gasket between the halves and the separator plate. If anything it'll leak into another passage there first and might even be considered fairly normal.

just talked to an other shop and they said that same thing that they are known to crack.

Urban legend, as I have probably built 300 or more of those transmissions and not once ever had a cracked one.

i have been trying to google it and cant find anything about cracks. so im guessing your right trailbeast

I forget the thread, might have been early A, /6, or this forum, but early trans from the pushbutton era do crack & there was a least 1 photo posted. But it was not the VB, it was
the channel casting near the fluid return, & I'm not sure if it actually caused any malfunction directly.

I too have been rebuilding torqueflites for 35 yrs. and never saw a cracked one. Have seen them with scared up and worn valves and some that a gorilla used a breaker bar to tighten the 1/4" bolts and pulled them part way into the casting but even they weren't cracked

has anyone ever heard of a valve body cracking? the guy from mo-par city said they can crack and to make sure you use a magnify glass to look for cracks.. and if its cracked its junk and will not operate correctly

I found this picture. It is an early VB, looks like '66.

65TF-crack.jpg

Yes i have what happiness is the pressure reg valve gets stuck and pressure sky rockets and splits the valve body at that point.

-
Back