Valve body interchangability question.

-

dart_68

Reaction score
I have a '69 904 TF. What year valve bodies will work in this tranny? I know none of the older push button trannies won't but what of later years?

I've been doing some searching and can't seem to find the answer. Thanks in advance!

A 1968-77 valve body should work in your current transmission without any issues. 904 and 727 Valve bodies are interchangeable if the middle bolt at the rear has an elongated slot instead of just a hole. Park rod is shorter so you'll need to use the 904 rod. 1971 and up will have the part throttle kickdown on it.

A 1968-77 valve body should work in your current transmission without any issues. 904 and 727 Valve bodies are interchangeable if the middle bolt at the rear has an elongated slot instead of just a hole. Park rod is shorter so you'll need to use the 904 rod. 1971 and up will have the part throttle kickdown on it.
That's the exact info I needed. Thank you very much!

Sure
This little gizmo was added to 71 and later VBs to allow you to kick down the trans one gear without flooring it like you more or less had to do on older VBs.
This is a nice feature to have;
1)with low-performance gears in traffic,and with a low-stall OEM TC; when you just want a little better acceleration, and don't need 100% power from the engine.
2) It's nice for merging into traffic at higher speeds and with more power, cuz once downshifted, you can still control the power required to merge, with throttle position, but again, you didn't have to floor it.
3) It makes the Part Throttle 2-3 lift-foot upshift a little softer. I don't see this listed as a function of that device, but it's just my observation.
As you can see all these are for comfort in a DD.

In the 70 and older VBs the KD feature mostly required the gas pedal to be fully or nearly fully depressed before KD became available.

For track-work I see no advantage to this gizmo...... but the 71up VBs are the culmination of decades of fine-tuning from Chrysler, they have all the best features and none of the later super mushy tweaks, which, if you install a shiftkit will be neatly defeated anyway.

Last edited:
Sure
This little gizmo was added to 71 and later VBs to allow you to kick down the trans one gear without flooring it like you more or less had to do on older VBs.
This is a nice feature to have;
1)with low-performance gears in traffic,and with a low-stall OEM TC; when you just want a little better acceleration, and don't need 100% power from the engine.
2) It's nice for merging into traffic at higher speeds and with more power, cuz once downshifted, you can still control the power required to merge, with throttle position, but again, you didn't have to floor it.
3) It makes the Part Throttle 2-3 lift-foot upshift a little softer. I don't see this listed as a function of that device, but it's just my observation.
As you can see all these are for comfort in a DD.

In the 70 and older VBs the KD feature mostly required the gas pedal to be fully or nearly fully depressed before KD became available.

For track-work I see no advantage to this gizmo...... but the 71up VBs are the culmination of decades of fine-tuning from Chrysler, they have all the best features and none of the later super mushy tweaks, which, if you install a shiftkit will be neatly defeated anyway.

Thank you gentleman for the information

-
Back