Valve Covers (not a perfect seal)

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Last time used the Felpro cork gaskets and now find small oil spot on garage floor. Cleaned up the perimeter of both valve covers and gingerly snugged up the bolts (factory torque speces are very low). Aftet a short drive I found the area around all of the lower bolts is damp again. Silicone to the rescue I guess.

Check around the bolt holes for cracks. I've run across lots of valve covers that had it's retainer bolts overtightened to the point that the captive washers cut through the cover. If they aren't cut, I like to hammer flat the area around the bolt holes, install new gaskets, and torque to specs. If sealer is needed, I like to use CopperCoat. I'm not a big silicone fan, but, RTV Ultra Black is another option that works well. Just don't get carried away with it.

I use the good rubber ones, can’t remember the brand. I silicone them to the valve covers so they stay put in the covers. They have been off and back on several times and do not leak. If you have a solid lifter cam this is real sweet. Most racers adjust valves before every race.

Check the top of intake manifold runner at where it meets the head sometimes a small lip on the intake will hold up the valve cover and leak

I put Commando covers on my motor last spring. Went with cork gaskets. I noticed they appeared a little thin. I compared them to a used set I’ve had that was probably purchased back in the 90s. Sure enough, a lot thinner. Another example of cutting costs. Probably have to double up the gaskets.

Interesting observation on the thinner gaskets (mine were purchased a long time ago and might not be the thin ones-not sure at this point).

In the past I used those special washers that spread the load more evenly about the bolt hole. However, in that case I changed over to studs because the factory fasteners became a little too short for comfort (was on a solid lifter camshaft using rubber valve cover gaskets glued on to the covers).

Mopar Performance № P5249581AB set of two valve cover gaskets with soft, conformable, ribbed oilproof rubber moulded over a steel core. Nothing else comes close.

I'm with Dan, the rubber covered wire ones I got in an old MP gasket kit from PAW. No wear gasket can be reused again and again.

-
Back