valve covers that won't leak - ??

-
I use Rubber gaskets, with steel between the 2 layers. -- Avoid chrome valve covers.

$50-$60 for a set of valve cover gaskets ? Holy Cow, thats insanity !!!!

Ill stick with my $12 Felpro cork gaskets, and a little Gasgacinch.

I go commando with rubber gaskets....

Giggity, giggity....

I just used that that thick *** black one 4spragtop posted. Its like an expanded foam, very light for what it looks like it would weigh. I also likes the old MP gasket kit ones that were gray and were rubber over a metal frame. cant remember if they had the torque limiters but I never had a leak on a straight cover with those. I dont like cork as it seems to stick when it gets burned by the up and over headers of an LA.

I tried that first... worked for a couple minutes.

I agree - and they didn't fit properly either - I was pretty well POed at first, but I had them and I had the covers so WTH, nothing to lose by trying to get them to work... and they do. So to me, worth every dang nickle. :thumbsup:

I have mopar performance covers with the thickest fel pro cork and metal gaskets you can get 5/16 I think forget the number of them..After you snug them down and start it. The next day go back and snug them up again.The cork compresses and you have to re-tighten them and couple of different times. I found out after I did this that the bolts where to long after the gaskets had compressed and they bottomed out making you think they where tight. Have not had a problem since I put in shorter bolts. Actually had them off a few times with no leaks

Well I'm on my 4th attempt trying to get my valve covers to not leak. My valve covers (stock covers) are not perfectly straight but I hammered them out (where the bolts are) before each time and made sure all surfaces were clean.
1) purchased the Mopar Performance steel core rubber coated valve cover gaskets and installed with no RTV. Leaked at the back corner near the firewall on both covers
2) reused the steel core rubber coated gaskets after cleaning them and the valve covers and used RTV on the gasket to valve cover side. Leaked at the back corner near the firewall on both covers.
3) hung the rubber coated gaskets on the garage wall and bought Felpro cork gaskets but didn't use any sealant. Leaked at the back corner near the firewall on both covers
4) bought another pair of Felpro cork gaskets and this time (today) used Gasgacinch between the valve cover and gasket as well as along the back corner near the firewall on each head. Will wait 24hrs before going for a test drive but I'm hoping the 4th time will be a charm.

I have only saw one post that mentioned to torque to the proper specs. I learned that lesson on my Dodge Ram when replacing a transmission pan gasket. Couldn't get it to stop leaking until I used my included pound torque wrench

probably a semi-stupid question - and at the risk of starting something on here.. does anybody have suggestions/experience as to which covers and gaskets to use on a small block that won't leak?
Late comer to the thread.

Never an issue with my MP covers and reuseable rubber outside steel core MP gaskets. No sealent used. These gaskets also work well really well with the M/T, Holley/etc... type of aftermarket covers.

-
Back