Valve covers with clear tops

-

AndyF

Reaction score
Two piece valve cover with a clear top to see how the oiling system is working.

Attachments

• DSC_9460 (Large).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 525
They came out with clear valve covers in the 70"s. Neat idea, but you can't see crap after all the oil hits it. They didn't last long or sell very well. I sold them in my Speed Shop in the 70"s.

Andy, Is there a plan to produce these for sale?
Great tool

Not sure yet, this design is super expensive to make since it is machined from a solid block of aluminum. Only way it would be cost effective would be to cast the covers but I doubt that I want to put up the cash to get a die built.

Great idea. Will it withstand the heat?

Sure no problem. The plastic is good to about 250 degrees and the cover should never get that hot. The cover probably runs about 160 to 180 degrees on average. I only use the clear cover on the dyno.

Sure no problem. The plastic is good to about 250 degrees and the cover should never get that hot. The cover probably runs about 160 to 180 degrees on average. I only use the clear cover on the dyno.

Thanks! Any more details on it?
Great idea!

They came out with clear valve covers in the 70"s. Neat idea, but you can't see crap after all the oil hits it. They didn't last long or sell very well. I sold them in my Speed Shop in the 70"s.

Yeah, saw Charlie Westcott doing this on his Warfish Hemis about 7-8 yrs ago. He was always tinkering. Probably a good idea to take a quick look at your valve train oiling but not durable.

Mill off the top of some cheap M/T's and epoxy some lexan onto it. IF your smart, youd screw them on so you can adjust the valves without oil dripping out of the head. And of course you need a little LED night light in there so you can run them at night with your hood off.

Mill off the top of some cheap M/T's and epoxy some lexan onto it. IF your smart, youd screw them on so you can adjust the valves without oil dripping out of the head. And of course you need a little LED night light in there so you can run them at night with your hood off.

I dont' like M/T's on big blocks. We put a set on our Superbird back in the early 80's and they leaked real bad. We tried 7 different gaskets and nothing. :violent1:

While at the Mopar Nats, someone told us that the M/T's are notorious for leaking on big blocks, so we ditched them for a set of stamped steel chrome ones and they sealed up first time... :cheers:

That proved that the problem wasn't us.... #-o

Or you can do this !!!
I needed to verify oiling on my 383.
Obviously can't run them permanently.

Attachments

• WIN_20160130_155620.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 286
Roy is right. I had a friend years ago who had some plastic all clear valve covers on a Chevy. You caint see nuthin. And he had a stock oil pump. Imagine how much oil a high volume pump would throw up there.

Roy is right. I had a friend years ago who had some plastic all clear valve covers on a Chevy. You caint see nuthin. And he had a stock oil pump. Imagine how much oil a high volume pump would throw up there.

I made a clear top valley cover, and had it on my 505 for a while. it worked good, could still see pretty well w/ the engine running. but I tried to wipe it of w/ b12 chemtool and ruined it. will make another one of these days .

Yeah, those things were a gimmick. Didn't last long after they got dirty/baked oil in em.
BTW RRR those are NOT the MP covers !! LOL

I use a clear valley cover in my 514 engine. It is handy to have.

Attachments

• valley.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 287
Distributor caps...
Years ago, at one time a clear distributor cap was available. I would find the distributor cap in clear more useful.
These clear covers have been around before as others have mentioned, but the oil does make a mess of them and the idea didn't last long.

clearvueconcepts.com has them for chevy, and someone had them for mopars a year or 2 ago, and mopar shaft rockers do not throw much oil up like chevys do

-
Back