Valve guide trimming, how much

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Finishing up my slant head, I know I need to trim my valve guides I'm at .489 lift, but by how much. Trim? Quarter inch? Any one have an answer ? Thanks guys!

Finishing up my slant head, I know I need to trim my valve guides I'm at .489 lift, but by how much. Trim? Quarter inch? Any one have an answer ? Thanks guys!
I wouldn't cut down the guide boss anymore than you have to. The longer the valve guide the better support for the valve/valve stem stability. That being said, you need clearance for the added lift of aftermarket cam. There are potentially a LOT of variables here, and i don't know if anyone here can say out of hand, with any certainty, what amount to remove. At full valve lift, I believe ma mopar recommends you need 0.060" to 0.070" clearance between retainer bottom and guide seal/guide boss top. You need to mock-up the engine assembly, without a valve spring or install a light set-up v. spring and MEASURE the clearances. Don't forget to make sure that you have over 0.070" clearance from coil spring bind, too.

Been running old Isky 505A & 505T in my turbo /6 with guides cut down to .665 - .670 from spring base. Many options for seals, I run rubber "bonnets" with diameter reduced to clear triple spring ID. Couldn't make teflon seals fit w/o removing too much guide. I replace seals frquently while "refreshing build". good luck.

Been running old Isky 505A & 505T in my turbo /6 with guides cut down to .665 - .670 from spring base. Many options for seals, I run rubber "bonnets" with diameter reduced to clear triple spring ID. Couldn't make teflon seals fit w/o removing too much guide. I replace seals frquently while "refreshing build". good luck.
Cool thanks for the numbers!

-
Back