Valve spring compressor......what's everyone use?

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am sick and TIRED of my two old *** valve spring compressors. This is what they both look like.
POS.jpg

Is there a better one that won't put me in the poorhouse?

The ones that Suzuki and Kawasaki made were awesome for motorcycles, basically a big C clamp. I've used mine on Neon heads but doubt it could handle a V8 head or performance springs.

I have one like you picture above but have honestly used it one time in ten years

Yup, that’s exactly what mine looks like.

I have one that works on the engine as well, the kind that’s a big lever that bolts to the rocker stands. But off the engine I’ve got exactly the same style compressor.

On my cleveland I used a basic lever that bolted to the stud stand, there make them for shaft rockers too but the one I use today is the OEM brand one from Vatozone. Its basically a jackscrew with 2 L shaped fingers that grab the bottom of the spring coils, then you turn the screw and it compresses the spring. "on the head" design. Trouble is you need to hold it or wedge something in there so it doesnt turn and the jackscrew handle is pretty wimpy. A bolt head would be more suitable. Works pretty good. Dont know about 300 lb or double springs though.
3.jpg
lever.jpg
VS168.jpg
proform-valve-spring-compressors-s-b-chrysler-26.gif

Last edited:
I have two of those spring compressors also. Both of them older than I am! I do have a lever type used with a rocker shaft made by comp and a on the engine spring remover like pishta posted.

The problem I am encountering is, with heavy springs, they twist and make the retainer cup slide off the spring. Pisses me OFF. I need something more solid. I see the Comp 5333 and wonder if anyone has any experience with that? It looks beefy.

Other variations. Don't know brands, one says 01253 other says BESSEY-GERMANY
100_1952.JPG
100_1954.JPG
100_1954.JPG

I have a pneumatic one

Yup I had one years ago when we actually lived in Macon. It was stolen with about 150K dollars worth of other tools when someone just back into the fence and loaded up everything I had. And of course none of the neighbors saw a thing. That's about when we decided to move where we are now.

I've got a couple that look just like the one in your photo. One is a KD and one is a New Britain. Columbus may have brought them over for all I know. Anyway, I too got severely frustrated having them flop over on me. So, I built the one below. It's kind of a copy of one I saw on the internet somewhere for sale. It has worked well with springs that are 200 lbs on the seat and 600 open. It's slow but hasn't flopped once, so I consider it a success.

DSC05272.JPG

DSC05273.JPG

I've got a couple that look just like the one in your photo. One is a KD and one is a New Britain. Columbus may have brought them over for all I know. Anyway, I too got severely frustrated having them flop over on me. So, I built the one below. It's kind of a copy of one I saw on the internet somewhere for sale. It has worked well with springs that are 200 lbs on the seat and 600 open. It's slow but hasn't flopped once, so I consider it a success.

View attachment 1715222805

View attachment 1715222806

You're darn tootin that's a success. Nice work!

Yup I had one years ago when we actually lived in Macon. It was stolen with about 150K dollars worth of other tools when someone just back into the fence and loaded up everything I had. And of course none of the neighbors saw a thing. That's about when we decided to move where we are now.
Well damn. that really sucks. sorry about that. I can mail you mine if you want, I'll pay shipping both ways. let me know.

Well damn. that really sucks. sorry about that. I can mail you mine if you want, I'll pay shipping both ways. let me know.

Naw man. Those things are 300 plus bucks. I caint have you do all that. Rest assured though, It won't go forgotten. Thanks.

I have this style compressor (in BB form, which is a different mount spacing hole). Works better than the screw type compressors and will work on a mounted head. It makes the job of swapping springs very easy. I tried a c clamp style and it just bent on my springs.
Proform Valve Spring Compressors, S/B Chrysler
View attachment 1715222809

That style is great, and I do have one. But not everything has shaft mounted rockers. I don't want to get too specific and limit myself.

A buddy picked up ones that are little cylindrical things and you smack then with a hammer to remove OR install the keepers. They actually worked really well with the head on the motor and the cylinder full of rope. They're made by lisle but don't know how they'd work with heavier springs

KD tools, similar to this one. Works good but after one or 2 springs my fingers are sore. If I ever get another one, it will be similar to the one Moparmandan posted.
Post up whatever you get Rob.

s-l400.jpg

I'm looking for one also so I'm following this! I been thinking about making one. I love making my own tools for me it's part of the fun of the hobby iv made about 3/4 of my gunsmithing tools including an action wrench, barrel vice, recoil pad fixture, scope mount jigs. Alot of other jigs also. So I'm considering making one. I do have a stupid question about changing them with the heads on what keeps the valve from just falling inside the cylinder. Doesn't seem like a very safe way of doing it. I guess you would have to do them one at a time and rotate the engine around to let the piston up on the one your working on? I'm thinking of making or buying a clamp type.

-
Back