Valve Springs

-

Heywodja

The Heartbeat Stops Here
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys looking for a little help on a set of valve springs for my engine.

I have an older grind Hughes HE3038AL that I installed when I built the engine. I am happy with the cam but somehow I misplaced the inner springs that I should have installed after break in. Long story but I actually installed the engine about 12 years ago.. it has a massive 350 miles on it since.. I have a set of their LA stageII iron heads installed. CC'd w//62cc chambers, 2.05/1.625 valves and the guides have been milled for positive seals.
I really want a beehive style spring so I can have a wider choice of rockers.

Hughes uses PAC springs which are probably a good product but I am looking for a little assistance locating some alternatives. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hughes recommends this spring from their website

145# @ 1.800" / 358# @ .550" LIFT (PAC SPRING)
Installed Height/Pressure: 1.800"--145#
Pressure @ .550" lift: 358#
Pressure @ .600" lift: 375#
Pressure @ .650" lift: 400#
Pressure @ .700" lift : 425#
Coil Bind: @ .750" lift
Outer Spring ID/OD: 1.075" /1.459"
Inner Spring ID/OD: 1.078" / .794"
Type of Spring: Dual

Retainers: 5/16" -1278 : 11/32" - 1201
Spring Rate 391

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 296
Why not contact Hughes and see if they will sell you the right inner spring? I actually run the cam right above the one you have. Actually it was an earlier version HE2328.

They want to sell me all new set because the original set I have are no longer in their inventory. I am actually good with Hughes, but I was just see what other info I could mine outta here

Since it's been 12 years and only that small amount of mileage, I would recommend replacing the entire spring pack. JMO.

^^^ that
When an engine is shut off, there are always valves that remain open. If they sit for very long periods this way,under stress, it can't be good for them. And the next time, perhaps different valves remain open. So eventually several or many valves may lose pressure from the original install. If you buzz it up in this condition there's a good chance of getting into premature valve float,and lifter pump-up,especially with just the outer springs installed. float can initiate lobe damage.When in doubt, replace. Or at the very least, have them checked.
I too have a Hughes HE3038 in my 360. I've also had the HE2430. I love them both. The 292/509Purple was not a good choice for a streeter with a M/T.

Fall isn't a good time for this, I think you should wait for spring....

yeah I fell into that one.. and yes I intended to get an all new set, I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience or alternatives to the PAC springs.

As stated previously I really am looking for beehive style.

Their spring 1129 is actually PAC 1903 valve spring...I use them on my solid lifter cams with an installed height of 1.80. With an LA head you would be looking for something with an installed height around 1.68.....

Those Pac spring would be way too stiff for an hydraulic cam.....

Hughes 1110 has an installed height of 1.66,.....

I have the same old hydraulic cam in my 73 Duster with eddy heads and eddy stock valve springs with a seat pressure of 120 lbs...

I used those Hughes 1110s on my OOTB Eddies with their HE3038 cam. I put an extra .020 or maybe .030 shim under them(cant recall). With 3/8 turn preload on the lifter (about .020 in the cup), and with 1.6 arms,the geometry spit out a pushrod length that worked for my milled decks, and the whole pkg goes 7200 all day long with their hi-po lifters. I've seen the tach into the 8s on miss-shifts( in the very old days), and it never went into lifter pump-up. Its been set up that way now for about 100,000 miles.

Not sure on the installed height, but when I spoke to Hughes last week, they still had my info and they are the ones who recommended the 1129 springs.. I guess the best deal would be to call them back directly and see if they have other choices..

Pretty sure the springs I currently have in it are the 1102's. I think they are a single with a damper type, I have not really put any hard pulls or high revs on it yet..

Work kept me out of the hobby for too long, and I want to get it back in gear so I am hoping to swap the valve springs and do a few other things that I have been putting off for entirely too long!

My motivation is that I have been working a a smart *** kid and his buddy at work who thinks his flow-mastered 5.0 GT is the baddest thing on 4 wheels.

Here in Texas the evenings will be dropping into the 60's pretty soon and that when my little big bore hunter runs best.

-
Back