Valve springs

-

jrosey

Reaction score
I got a new set of 440 source springs and put on my 906's I know there have bad reviews but got a good deal. Just figured I ask so I emailed 440 source and they said they wont work on my heads... they fit in the seats fine.. what would make them not work? Just don't want to start my 383 up and something bad happen

Did you check the installed height, seat pressure, open pressure, and did you check for coil bind with your cam lift? Hhmmm?

Idk what all that means the guy I got it from just told me they would work I got mp484 cam and those springs together

Ok time to put down the wrenches and step AWAY from the engine stand....

You do not want to just go changing valve springs willy nilly, bad things will happen.

Installed heigth is just what it says, how tall are the springs in the spring pocket? are they all the exact same height? are they the correct height for your keepers?

Seat pressure, how hard are they presssing the valve head into its seat? will they snap off the head or not snap shut?

open pressure, how bad do they want to close the valve? how bad do they want to tear the retainer off the valve stem?

coil bind, are you gonna have the spring coils trying to overlap when the rocker arm is fully depressed?

all this is VERRY important and cannot be checked with a harbor freight tape measure (not even the one with the little numbers next to the big numbers..) , you need the correct tools. your best bet is to find a GOOD head builder and take him your cam card, springs and heads....

DO NOT just throw those springs in and hope for the best. Best case they accualy work, worst case your motor eats a valve and is junk..

Closed (seat) Pressure: Approx. 130 pounds @ 1.875" installed height
Valve Spring Open Pressure Approx. 330 pounds @ 1.275" (.600" lift.)
Valve Spring Inner Diameter: 1.050"
Valve Spring Maximum Lift: .510"
Valve Spring Coil Bind Height: 1.130"
Valve Spring Outer Diameter: 1.550"
Valve Spring Free Height 2.400"
Valve Spring Installed Height: 1.875"
Valve Spring Wire Diameter: .202"
Valve Spring Number of Coils: 5.5

The cam is a mp 484

Closed (seat) Pressure: Approx. 130 pounds @ 1.875" installed height
Valve Spring Open Pressure Approx. 330 pounds @ 1.275" (.600" lift.)
Valve Spring Inner Diameter: 1.050"
Valve Spring Maximum Lift: .510"
Valve Spring Coil Bind Height: 1.130"
Valve Spring Outer Diameter: 1.550"
Valve Spring Free Height 2.400"
Valve Spring Installed Height: 1.875"
Valve Spring Wire Diameter: .202"
Valve Spring Number of Coils: 5.5

The cam is a mp 484

Great, but how are they set up on YOUR heads? Which retainers and locks are you using? What are the actual installed heights on your heads? Stock retainers are too small inside and outside and will not locate and control the springs properly. The springs won't locate in the head spring pockets right. The pressures might be a little high at the stock head/valve combination of 1.86" installed height, but the big problem is they are going to dance all around in the spring pockets and under the retainers. Gonna look like 16 girls in hula skirts dancing under the valve covers.

I wasnt asking anyone to criticize me and treat me like an idiot. I was just asking a qwestion to maybe get some insight because I dnt no hhhmmmm! People like you that have nothing good to say shouldn't say anything at all

I wasnt asking anyone to criticize me and treat me like an idiot. I was just asking a qwestion to maybe get some insight because I dnt no hhhmmmm! People like you that have nothing good to say shouldn't say anything at all

I hope this wasn't aimed at IQ52....... he really knows what he is talking about and won't steer you wrong.

Ok maybe I jumped the gun a little bit. The hmm thing kinda got me. I'm just taking a 383 with stock heads other than new exhaust seats and I put those springs with matching retainers. But had to use original locks because the comp ones that came with it had different grooves. Arnt there springs that people have put in stock heads that can tell by those numbers that I will be fine if I'm not to hard on them. I can't drive the car for a couple years have to get brakes done and body painted and in that time I could get a better cam and spring set.

matching retainers-good, so we no longer will assume springs dancing in retainers. 1.550" diameter-good, stock springs are about 1.510", so they should not be dancing in the head pocket much. if the installed height is 1.860", only .015" less than 1.875" which will be 135# seat load-okay for your cam. plenty of clearance with .484" lift to coil bind. looks good to me

Ok maybe I jumped the gun a little bit. The hmm thing kinda got me.

I can see how you read that. I read it as hhmmm? (Thinking out loud) and you read it as hhmmm! (Nose in air). I don't know IQ52 personally, but in the last several years, I've read enough of his posts to know he wasn't talking down to you. :thumrigh:

I hope this wasn't aimed at IQ52....... he really knows what he is talking about and won't steer you wrong.

IQ52 is one of the premier engine builders on the site. His advice is free, and will save you mucho headaches and dollars. Its easy to assume on a thread, as we dont have sarcasm lights and such...lol... you will get the help you need, its a great site.

You need to be aware of a couple of important items here;
1) BEFORE you mix stock locks w/Comp retainers, be ABSOLUTELY sure they aren't 10deg.
2)Mopars really don't have a spring "pocket" in the head because the engineers knew
that springs "unwind" as they are compressed,so they are located by the ID stock.
That being said,the spring seat in the head as machined may not clear the OD of the
new ones,so a larger seat cutter pass may be necessary for clearance.The inner part
that did the locating may also need cut if the spring has a damper clearance issue.
3)The valve guide ht. stock should work w/your cam,but if your cutting them for PC seals,
shortening them w/the cut gives you some upgrade/breathing room.

Remember, your stock keepers/locks are 7-8deg., be sure those retainers are too !!
I ran the green Mopar street hemi single w/damper on that cam in my 383, 6500 rpm
will be easy :burnout:

-
Back