Valve stem seals

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all looking to replace seals on Dads 273 cuda. Im looking for same style that it had but can't seem to find them. They are black rubber with 2 metal rings on them. Markings on them "AKR BAF57"
I have pics but cant upload from my phone. I can email if someone can post pics for me.

Thanks
Steve

Original seals would have just been umbrella style. Have the outside of the guides been cut? You probably have seals by Perfect Circle that were installed sometime in it's past. Perfect Circle used to make black guide seals that had two springs that held the seal over an uncut guide and another style that used a light cut to the o.d. They also made white ones with a spring ring around the valve itself like most of the seals you see today.

Let me know what they look like Steve, I may have some in my gasket kits if they are the right kind...

Thanks guys. Dad n I redid the top end in 2012 with comp cams stuff. Couldnt find them on their site.
Karl I will email you pics if you could post please?
Thanks guys.

I just sent you pictures of what I have, but it's not exactly what you sent me...

PC, Sealed Power and maybe others made these. So far as I know, they all required a tool to cut down the outer diameter of the guide. I don't believe there is a "standardized" size, so I believe you would need to caliper the OD of the guide to determine the correct seal.

Example of a guide cutter

img-vgc-complete.jpg

They def look like Perfect Circle seals. Dad n I must have installed them. Maybe came in the gasket kit when we redid top end? They seem to fit great over valve guide boss and boss appears to be virgin? When I removed valves n springs they were all in place and snug to guide boss.

Doesn't matter, Steve. You just need to caliper them, and then "try" a part no. for stock size, look it up and see if it matches. What I'm saying is, I don't think there really is a "standard" for machining these, I think it might have depended on who was making what seals at the time. Also check your valve stems that they aren't huge oversize. I don't remember what the largest is, I think .015??

I thought I might have some of those left but checked my boxes and I only have the original equipment umbrella style and the modern white ones. Throw a caliper on the guide boss and determine what diameter they are and measure the valve stems. Then go down to the local NAPA with a sample in hand. It looks like they are probably Sealed power ST2002.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...=Keyword&Nty=1&N=599001+101968+50020+2020014#

I put a caliper on the boss and the seal last night but will dbl chk measurements tonight. Ive been scrambling trying to get it ready for Moparfest.

Hey all I dropped by local machine shop. Lead machinist is a mopar guy. Al said current style seals are fine. Guide boss have not been machined. I put calipers on it and measurements are
Valve stem dia. 0.372
Seal lower hole id 0.604
Seal upper hole id 0.366
Guide boss OD 0.64

Gonna try to locate Sealed Power ST2002. OR ST2002BC Those look the closest to what I have.
The warnings as per the machine work required doesn't apply or so it seems. Maybe its required for other small blocks? ? I will chk my x heads when I get a chance.

Thanks all. I will update when I get new seals.

Long as you don't have a great big cam in there too much lift, LOL

-
Back