Valves weight question Ti vs Stainless

-

Miszny

Reaction score
Hi

I wanted to know what is the weight diferece between Ti valves and Stainless valves.
For example my Stainless Edelbrock 1.81" exhaust valve weighs 115 grams (4.06oz) and stock 452 head 1.74" weighs 110 grams (3,88oz).
I was looking online for some manufacturer values but did not find much. I read somewhere that titanium valve is around 40% lighter.
Is it really that much?

Thank you.

A buddy has some old top fuel hemi stuff laying around, I picked up one of the intake valves one day and couldn't believe how light it was. He told me it was titanium. Way lighter than a stock valve

I can' speak for the valves, but if you ever picked up a titanium anything you'd be surprised at how light it is.
A better word in my case would be > unobtanium !
Are you really going to wind it high enough that u need them ?

I run mostly all titanium intakes in most everything I build now(which is only three engines, but spare heads too). The exhaust valves are SS, as exhaust lobes are generally more gentile, and SS is a better heat conductor than Ti.

You want weights? OK, 2.19 intakes at 4.950 OAL, (IE +050 BB dimensions) using a 7mm stem are 78gms. They use a 55 degree seat and are CrN coated. NASCAR stuff, it's all going to be 50 and 55 degree seats. You don't grind/reface them, the coating is essential. Using a solid flat tappet in a 457, I'm planning on endurance runs to 7k, with "beehive" springs and fairly tame pressures. 110 seat and 310 open. You must use a lash cap, and you want to use bronze guides, sized properly. I run .0015 intake and .0025 exhaust clearances(with SS). From what I hear/see, the intake clearance is on the loose side, you can go .001 or even .0008, I hear. I'm not that brave, TBH. Ti valves do not like flex, so you can't cheat on guide clearances or valve job concentricity.

I will do some 6mm stuff eventually, those weigh 65gm. I think it's kinda past the point of diminishing returns, as I'm still wet sump oiling(with a crank scraper) and even a 3.38 stroke engine isn't going to need that sort of rpm. S/F....Ken M

do not use titanium exhaust valves on any engine that runs for more than a 1/4 mile. it is much lighter than steel

I grabbed a spare set and weighed it in case there were any doubts. I lied in the previous post, this set is 77gms. S/F....Ken M

Addendum. All this being said, if you're not running some race class where you have weird rules, SS valves are generally great and don't have some of the hassles of titanium. Like heat removal(BeCu or similar seats are strongly encouraged), coating issues and preferring leaded fuels.

20180407_112616_resized.jpg

Great info, thank you guys for this. I was very curious how much you gain with titanium, I see its A LOT!
I have titanium retainers and the weight difference is significant but I was not sure if perhaps its different type of titanium for valves in regard of heat resistance and so on.

Also the guy that sold me my heads claimed that exhaust valves were Ti, turned out they were standard Edelbrock stainless valves.

Last edited:
-
Back