Vanashing Point Challenger

-
-The Vanishing Point Challenger, whats the hype? I mean really, isn't the Challenger they used a '70 Dodge Challenger R/T? That be easy to make (I think) from any of the '70 Challenger R/T offerings..... MAYBE I'm wrong tho, I don't know, (I've not seen Vanishing Point to know for sure.....

One can hope this isn't a re-pop of AMT's original '70 Challenger mold, or a re-issue of the Vanishing Point kit they released circa 2003 (based on the earlier kit with new parts). But I wouldn't hold my breath, not until they release some test shots.

IMHO, the best Challenger body is still the equally ancient 1:24 Monogram offering. The more recent Revell 1:25 kit has bad body proportions, and the AMT/Matchbox/Ertl kits have convertible bodies with a separate roof section you need to glue on to make a hardtop.

The best one I've seen yet is the Revell "Streetburner" Thats a 2n1 kit thats an R/T and the T/A with the model kitto be painted yellow on the box top, and Panther Pink around the box edges. Its actually a 1/25th scale model, unlike the other Revell '70 Challenger thats an T/A model thats from the Monogram offerings that were 1/24th scale, and wasn't the greatest lookingfor the 1/24th scale offering, but the R/T - T/A offering in 1/25th looks pretty good, I have one of it AND the Monogram T/A kits.....

I looked at the above link to see if they showed any pics of the Vanishing Point Challenger, just the front end of it is shown, not saying a lot, don't hold your breath!

The Revell 1:25 Challenger kit molds (the Streetburner RT/TA issue) were taken from a diecast kit, and the body shape is off, especially below the beltline. It's also larger than 1:25 scale. The kit has a metal axle to mount the front wheels, so you've got a hole through the engine to deal with as well. I have this kit and I'm not terribly impressed with it.

It looks like the "new" VP Challenger is the 2003 VP kit, reissued. Unless they've done some major retooling, it will still have the separate, glue-on roof and the not-quite-right RT hood.

This is the one I'm referring too:

http://www.revell.com/model-kits/cars/85-4213.html#.Vi3gGCvfrct

I don't think its real good, BUT, its better then the original Monogram 1/24th '70 Challenger T/A. (I have both kits) and the Streetburner link I posted is a better version.

I'd LOVE to find the old AMT Ertl model '70 Challenger, I bet its a bit better then the Revell offerings!

There are ways to get around the hole in engine from steel axle...... just have to think outside of the box. -I myself replace the engine! And make up my own front rotors! to mount in the hole the steel axle went through. I've not started either of these, but when I do, have a look, you'll see what I do to get around the detail issue and axle problems!

Sorry to burst ones bubbles but its going to be the same not so good 70 challenger that has been rereleased several times since the Yankee Challenger. Its really sad, would be nice to see a new version with the corrected roof problems.

-
Back