Vapor-Liquid Separator

Discussion in 'Fuel and Air Systems' started by Lil Demon, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Lil Demon

Lil Demon Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:58 PM
    Anyone try using the original vapor-liquid separator? From looking at the diagram of how it works, looks like the best way to vent my new efi setup. I figure connect the three vapor hoses to my top tank vent line, then connect the vent-liquid return line to my fuel pump vent inlet to return any possible liquid introduced into the separator. Anyone try this?

DSCN1348.JPG

DSCN1349.JPG

DSCN1352.JPG

2. 67Dart273

67Dart273 Well-Known Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    12:58 PM
    No. The line which goes up front, and originally connected to the carbon can system up there IS THE VENT and MUST BE open to the atmosphere

...........at least if I understand what you are trying to do. If the tank has a dedicated vent line you need to use that for a VENT and it must go up high to prevent siphoning. This is why the 69/ earlier system with the vent "teed" into the filler tube worked so well. It was almost impossible to create a siphon situation with that.

Only situation I can imagine is that EG you filled it VERY full with cool gas, then parked it with the filler on the downhill side of a very steep hill.

Even then all they would do is siphon down enough to create a space in the filler neck and then "break" the siphon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Lil Demon

Lil Demon Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      2:58 PM
      Correct the highest point is the best vent. That is why I am thinking of using the tank vent as the vent and plumbing it to the Vapor/Liquid separator, then use the fuel pump vent line as a return line from the separator. That would contain any possible liquid that may find it's way into the separator.

• 67Dart273

67Dart273 Well-Known Member

View My Photos
      Local Time:
      12:58 PM
      Ok but how are you actually going to vent it? Some of the lines in the separator go to the bottom, some don't. So you could get a situation that might cause a siphon, and you might get a situation that would allow fuel to build up in the separator and not drain. In other words you must be careful what you hook to what.