Verifying a 426 wedge

-
Numbers are in the same place on both engines... Front center pad above the water pump area for the Stampings. Side of block for the casting numbers. They will be different for each, meaning there are no common stamping or casting numbers between the two blocks. There are not visual differences between the two, they may well look identical other than the numbers, at least whilst still assembled.

Scroll down, to blocks....
A Guide To Mopar V8 Cylinder Head And Block Casting Numbers (enginelabs.com)

Also, if you can see the top pad stampings, you are gonna see 440 stamped on a 440, you will see 426 or just 42 if a 426 and you will see 41 if a 413.

HTH, Lefty71

Last edited:
Is there a visual difference between a 440 and a 426.. where would I look for numbers on the the 426 engine

Other than differences in things like early/late water pumps, valve covers, intake manifolds and exhaust manifolds, pretty much no visual difference. A 426 wedge will look more like an early 440 than the early 440 will look like a late 440. (Edited in response to question below.)

If the motor is out of the car, the casting number will tell you. If in the car, look for the RB raised pad between the water pump and the intake gasket front hold down, opposite side of the motor from the distributor. Cubic inch will be stamped on the pad.

According to my little white book, 426 casting numbers are 2205697, 2406730, and 2532230. From the book, looks to me like the first is street wedge only, while the latter two can be either street wedge or max wedge. But someone more knowledgeable than me will have to clarify if that is correct.

Last edited:
A 426 will look more like an early 440 than the early 440 will look like a late 440. .

I don't understand this statement? Why is that

On a side note 426 hemi blocks have "cross bolted" mains IE main bolts going in crossways above the pan rail

A 426 will look more like an early 440 than the early 440 will look like a late 440.

I don't understand this statement? Why is that

Actually it makes perfect sense to me.... There are bosses cast into the front of 426 and early 440 blocks (for motor mounts) that you will not find in late 440 blocks. In addition, late 440 blocks will have the heavy sidewall (winter blocks) casting reinforcement at the freeze plugs.... You will not find that in either early 440 or 426 blocks. HTH, Lefty71

Is there a visual difference between a 440 and a 426.. where would I look for numbers on the the 426 engine
Not really any visual difference you have to look at the stampings on the ID pad as well as the casting number. If it is a bare block then measure the bore size since that is the major difference. The 426W wasn't super common in passenger cars but sometimes you'll find the industrial version. The 426W I have in my Coronet was stamped B426 so it came out of a 1966 vehicle.

I believe a wedge 426 says "AH426" on the pad. at least the one that my buddy has laying around says that.

Called the guy to look ..A 426 HP is on the pad ..he said it was a '65 ..thanks
That would be a 1965 426 Wedge. Do you need one for a project car? The guys who have original '65 street wedge cars will pay a premium to find an original engine since they are a little hard to come by. Mopar didn't build a lot of 426 street wedge cars, that engine wasn't available for very long. It wasn't a great performance engine but it is desirable for guys doing restorations.

Whole motor in a '67 Plymouth.. looking into the numbers I guess it's the 365 HP type ?

Would have had, and may still have factory type air cleaner and valve covers but in chrome.... Desirable stuff, for sure.

Would have had, and may still have factory type air cleaner and valve covers but in chrome.... Desirable stuff, for sure.

426 street wedge.jpg

My buddy has a 426 block, Max wedge heads, and a crossram intake. They are only worth what people will pay for them. Annnnnd they seem pretty worthless. People love to look at them and talk about them, but nobody seems to step up and buy.

My buddy has a 426 block, Max wedge heads, and a crossram intake. They are only worth what people will pay for them. Annnnnd they seem pretty worthless. People love to look at them and talk about them, but nobody seems to step up and buy.

The advent of cheap aluminum heads has made the max wedge heads fall in price.....unless of course for those doing restos.

Here's an interesting magazine cover from back in the day. Inside is a road test of the new street 426 (wedge, not Hemi). That's not what the cover photo is, though. Kinda looks like the NASCAR version of the max wedge, with NASCAR single four barrel intake, Holley carb and max wedge exhaust manifolds. But it's obviously not in a race car. Where the magazine got the photo and what it actually is - ?????

64 426.jpg

Last edited:
Kinda looks like the NASCAR version of the max wedge, with NASCAR single four barrel intak

I have one of those intakes..... Revision "B".... it was over the counter from your local CDP dealer only from what I've read.

That's weird?

For what it's worth my '65 Plymouth Sport Fury's engine was stamped A426 HP on the distributor pad. I've always thought it was interesting that the font for the HP was considerately larger than the font used in later years.

It would be stamped A 426 HP for a 65. 64 would be
stamped V 426 HP.

I had a B426 block sitting in my shop for a number of years. I was told that the C body cars got a 426W for a short time in 1966 but that doesn't seem to be common knowledge so I guess I'm not sure where it came from.

For what it's worth my '65 Plymouth Sport Fury's engine was stamped A426 HP on the distributor pad. I've always thought it was interesting that the font for the HP was considerately larger than the font used in later years.
Most of the time the HP stamp is the same font but I've seen a few that used the larger marine or MW type font. I don't know why that is. Maybe a different factory or something?

-
Back