Very high temp paint???

-

dustoff440

Reaction score
After I bead blast my 340 exhaust manifolds I would like to paint them with something that will hopefully stick There are a lot of products out there that claim they will do the job. Has anyone had any experience with a product that really works??? Getting a good product the first time around will save me a lot of time and money, both of which I am in short supply of right now. LOL

I used VHT paint on my new headers and followed all the instructions on the can and after 2 months it still looks great. We'll see what a little more time will do.

Although I haven't installed my engine yet. I painted mine with Eastwood high temp manifold paint. http://www.eastwood.com/ew-factory-gray-hi-temp-coating-11-75oz-aer.html
They should last 2-3 years. toolmanmike

engine 117.jpg

engine 118.jpg

engine 205.jpg

I know a guy who used wood stove paint. Its for cast iron, black, high temp, and appears to be working well.
My mother has a Vermont Castings wood stove and that son of a b would get darn hot, and the spray paint they gave her is still on it after 30 years.

The VHT paint works well. There is a cast iron color that looks like a brand new, bare manifold. Me likey!

I just switched to Rustoleum header paint availible at autozone and so far so good. I'll let you know what I find out after a 2K trip I'll be making shortly.

I've used the Eastwood stuff several times. It goes on easily, dries quickly does not flake off and does not change color. It's a good product.

3k miles on the Jeep through a few major rain storms at 80 mph, 100+F days and a few gravel roads and no flaking or bubbling. The new Rustoleum stuff has made me a believer. This goes for thier 500 F plus engine paint as well as thier header paint.

In 6 months we'll see how it does in the snow, gravel, sand and mag chloride they spread on the roads here.

I've used the Eastwood stuff several times. It goes on easily, dries quickly does not flake off and does not change color. It's a good product.

I disagree. Used it following directions to the letter on the exhaust manifold and pipe for the '64 Ford 2000 series 4 cylinder tractor over a year ago. It looks great at first but within a couple of months, it was blistering and then started peeling off. The tractor gets used maybe once/twice a month and lives in my shop, not outside. For about $30 a pint (if I remember right), I think the stuff is crap.

I can get pictures.

really? it worked well for me. what would you recommend?

has amyone tried this? http://www.por15.com/High-Temperature-Paints/products/8/

the directions say paint it on, let it dry to the touch and then heat it up to over 300 degrees to fully cure it. then it will withstand 1200-1400 degrees. thats what i plan on using on my build when i get to that point.

I used it (applied it just as the directions said) on my headers but didn't have a way to cure it (no oven). I thought maybe I could install the headers and fire it up for a little at a time keeping an eye on the temp with a digital temp gun making sure to not go over 300 degrees. Problem was it scratched off so easy I had half of it scratched off installing the headers. I went ahead and fired it up and within seconds it was peeling off. I've used POR-15 chassis paint with great success but the header paint didn't work good at all for me.

intresting. I'm going to try it and see how it goes. It's a bummer you did not have any luck with it.

On a buddy's headers; Read the directions, hung them up and sprayed. THEN, got a big weed killing torch that would smoke anything you own, used a digital therm, heated headers to proper temp, per instructions, cool, heat, cool ,heat, etc (different temps). Installed the engine, then gator wrestled the headers in- (a lot of banging and scraping), no scratches. We stood there in awe; something we read actually worked.

-
Back