Very short (sub 30") a body speedometer cable? '72 Demon

-

JC.

Reaction score
During the course of replacing the a/c vacuum switch in my Demon I had to remove the gauge cluster.
When I attempted to disconnect the speedo cable from the back of the gauge cluster the 40 odd year old brittle plastic end just crumbled in my hand. Doh!

I've been looking online and the only speedo cables I can find are listed as some 60+ inches long. Whilst I haven't removed the cable from the car yet, there's no way I need something that long. I doubt it'll be even half that long?

The cable I have passes through the bulkhead and is secured to a large round canister with a 1" nut. There is a second cable on the bottom of this canister that goes off, presumably, to the transmission.

Does anyone happen to know the part number for this short cable or, indeed have one hiding amongst their stash?
What purpose does this canister serve? Is it there to prevent fluid from the gearbox traveling up into the gauge cluster via capillary action, perhaps?

I've attached a picture to illustrate the canister.

Thanks in advance,

Jon.

Attachments

• Speedo cannister.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 108
That is a piece of factory added crap that you really don't need. I think it turned on a warning lamp when you reached a certain speed. Delete it and install a continuous 63 inch cable.

I have that cable in a box somewhere in my garage. As Redfish stated, it was part of the emissions package on the car. If you got heavy on the throttle it would turn on the drivers side fender mount turn signal to let you know to ease off.

I took out that entire cable and replaced it with continous cable.

If you want to retain that cable and look to the car let me know I can dig thru the boxes this weekend and send you the entire thing.

Thanks folks.
Straightlinespeed, you have a PM!

Does anyone know what the mopar part number is for the upper cable? I'd like to keep this setup ideally.

Thanks folks.
Straightlinespeed, you have a PM!

Does anyone know what the mopar part number is for the upper cable? I'd like to keep this setup ideally.

PM back and I'll see if my cable has the P/N on it. I'll post it up here. Otherwise I will see if I can locate it from another source.

-
Back