VHT & VHT ? caliper, enamel, primer, choices?

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
Well, I am sick of trying to electroplate all kinds of items since it is difficult to get large items to plate, and a set of rotors to come out all half assed (granted obviously my zinc system is just home brew).
So, I am going to be sand blasting and painting / baking some of the more complex parts.

I successfully electroplated the ends of my strut rods that were otherwise powdercoated but they didnt coat the threads so I blasted them and zinc plated them, worked fine, then I painted it with a light coat of vht for the color. But.. like I said, zinc plating large or complex objects is a massive pain.

Here are some pics of my trials and tribulations: I electroplated some A arms then painted them with vht hi temp silver flame resistant type. baked them @ 275 which melted the polyurethane bushing on one. Love it. Might as well pitch them off a bridge into the ocean.
I tried zinc plating the front side of my rotors but they refused to get consistency after multiple re-blastings and various cleaning methods, so I blasted them and painted them with the vht also. Can I bake these rotors at the recommended 600 degrees? The races and such are out..

now, there are about 20 types of vht paint and primer.. I emailed the company, but they dont reply with any info.

The cast iron and aluminum color enamel look promising because they can be baked at lower 230 degree temps and are "highly corrosion resistant".
I like the idea of having a cast colored coating that has excellent corrosion resistance.

Anybody got any feedback on prep techniques or longevity experiences with various VHT products?

I am mainly interested in painting directly over clean sand blasted steel and cast iron or what it takes to do so.

Normally I would epoxy first, but I don't like overly thick coatings on drive train and suspension parts. Secondly, on calipers, rotors and exhaust, heat may destroy 2k epoxy.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 207
Dupli-Color,makes a decent caliper paint. The best VHT sells,their Rollbar Epoxy. Tried to take it off,with a 20,000 rpm Makita,and a 4" 36 grit flap wheel. Loaded the paper,big time.

Update:

So, the rotors above:

I sand blasted my rotors super bare clean again. Washed them with alcohol, dried them in the 100+ day sun for several hours, then sprayed several medium nice coats of silver VHT flame proof paint on there. Let them dry over night and then baked at 250 for an hour then 500 for several hours. Then I set them on a pallet outside and it sprinkled rain on them several days later. Then it was sunny for several weeks. They were showing specks of rust with in 3 weeks. In one month there were patches of surface rust.

Wont be using VHT again unless there is a magical high temperature corrosion resistant primer that is supposed to go under the VHT paint.

I contacted VHT, they were very friendly when they got back to me and suggested that all their paint is fantastic and corrosion resistant.

So, once more I blasted the rotors super bare, soaked with alcohol, dried in the sun until nice and hot. Then I painted them with SPI epoxy on a brush followed shortly after by some rustoleum chrome paint. I will be willing to bet that the SPI epoxy never rusts nor fails in any way. Possibly the fake chrome paint will eventually.

-
Back