Vibration

-

J Glenn

Reaction score
Ok... my slant 6 has developed a noticeable vibration at higher RPMs (passing,etc.)

The first thing I did was (hope) maybe a motor mount or transmission mount broke. But it passes the "drop-it in gear while watching the engine for a jump" test with flying colors.

Ideas?

Ok... my slant 6 has developed a noticeable vibration at higher RPMs (passing,etc.)

The first thing I did was (hope) maybe a motor mount or transmission mount broke. But it passes the "drop-it in gear while watching the engine for a jump" test with flying colors.

Ideas?
your wife/gf has hidden a vibrator under the seat for you to find..... :rofl:

Does it vibrate when reving in neutral? How do the plugs, wires, rotor and cap look? A compression test would cross off a few possible causes.

Does it vibrate when reving in neutral? How do the plugs, wires, rotor and cap look? A compression test would cross off a few possible causes.

Good questions. I have not noticed it in neutral (but maybe I have not revved it high enough while in neutral. I think it happens at 3k+ RPMS.

I'll check compression. That's a good one. I'll check the ignition stuff too, but it's not just simply MISSING -- it's a bigger vibration than that. Of course maybe it's also a combination of things. Again, it's good advice.... and I need to start knocking things off the list.

Mine has a vibration at around 60-65 on the freeway. I was thinking it might be a driveshaft u-joint. When I got it, one was loose, but I just repacked it and put it back together. Replacing it has been on my to-do list.

- Bad u-joint or bent driveshaft
- Rear trans mount
- Loose torque converter or flexplate or clutch component
- In addition to the plugs, wires, etc.: valve clearances (But that would show at low speeds too.)
- Damper
- Fan

Does it lose power, or just vibrate?

-
Back