vinegar or electrolysis

-

rbkt65

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
air vent door cleaning. not sure if this goes here but my drivers side fresh air door is rusty at the hinges. tried pb blaster but still not like i want it. don't want to drill the rivets out just yet. if i soak the whole vent in vinegar or do the electrolysis thing, will the plastic housing get damaged? tia.

th

depends on how bad it is. I know white vinegar should be safe on plastic, but I am fairly certain its not safe for foam or rubber (at least I never let it touch those for extended periods when I use it)
If you just have a little surface rust around the hinges, electrolysis would be overkill. Thats really a process better meant for larger parts with nooks and crannies that aren't easy to get to in my opinion.
I have also just put a little 3-in-1 oil on hinges and hard to move garden tools and cycle it open and closed and you will see the hinge work the rust out on its own, wipe it off with a clean rag and then repeat the process. It won't change much visually, but should be able to function normally after a couple of treatments like that.
If you're still not sure, don't be afraid to send a picture of it so we can give more ideas

You can mask off everything but the metal and then glass bead it.

Cheap motor oil works great, a couple drops leave it and start getting the HEMI ready…….

Soak in evaporust it is harmless to plastic

I have yet to not have one free up with a little glass bead blasting the hinge. You can mask everything else off.

-
Back