Vinyl interior tears- best way to manage without replacing?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
The original interior in my Dart is in good shape with the exception of a tear in the vinyl on the seat part of the bench.

Can anyone suggest the best way to conceal/arrest the tear? I suspect that replacing the whole vinyl panel would be best way but I'd prefer to keep as much of the original stuff in there...and my budget is tight.

Thanks for any tips!!

There used to be kits for repairing vinyl but they are hard to find you fill it with a goo that you iron to cure and there are tricks for matching the grain , My aunt in law had one and got so good at it that all the car guys used to track her down to fix there rips , they used to sell them on tv from like Ronco or someone like that and I haven't seen them in years myself but maybe someone knows a source .

^probably not going to help MR, but Canadian Tire has those kits up here
-if you can find a place that sells Permatex stuff, they made the kit I bought (can't tell you how it works, though- never got around to using it)
edit- btw, this kit came with a little 'anvil' that you heated up and ran over it (with little backing papers that had the grain you wanted to use) rather than using an iron-same principle though

^probably not going to help MR, but Canadian Tire has those kits up here
-if you can find a place that sells Permatex stuff, they made the kit I bought (can't tell you how it works, though- never got around to using it)
edit- btw, this kit came with a little 'anvil' that you heated up and ran over it (with little backing papers that had the grain you wanted to use) rather than using an iron-same principle though

Sweet I'm going to grab one just in case -Thanks
Now that you mention the papers I think that was her trick some sort of heavy wax paper she would warm and rub on the surrounding area to get the grain for the repair .

In a pinch, you can find some of the same material behind a panel or on a fold that is unseen and cut a small piece out, cut it into small shreds and melt with acetone in a metal bottlecap, then you can use the goo to fill the crack/tear and it should be the same color. dont know how to get the grain back, but crumpled wax paper or contruction paper comes to mind. Might want to put a bit of screen behind the tear to give it a little strength. or this guys mega kit...[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOXpKGkXXFQ"]vinyl repair guaranteed method - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back