Vinyl Top questions

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
I'm finally ready to replace my vinyl top, and I had a couple questions:

#1 Legendary, or SMS? SMS sent me a sample, and it looks very correct. I'm assuming Legendary would be comparable correctness and quality. Does anyone have any pros or cons versus one over the other? The SMS quote came in a little higher, but not near enough to be a deciding factor.

#2 Center Deck width: Legendary offers tops with a 43" or a 38" center deck width. Was this really an option on these cars? My original vinyl top rotted away years ago, so I'm not sure which one it had originally (1972 Swinger), but I'd like to match that if possible. I'm assuming the seams on the top portion of the roof were always in the same locations (and I can tell where they were), but the center deck didn't leave any witness marks. If someone has a picture showing the installed difference, that would be awesome. Google had little to offer.

upload_2022-7-20_9-57-58.png

#3 What's the procedure to attaching the top? I need to replace the body filler at the roof line (Suggestions? Lead? ) and then paint where the vinyl roof used to live but I'm no body guy. Do I need to do anything to the drip rails first? Adhesive? Are there retainers for this?

Thanks all in advance. This is little-discussed in Mopar World.

I got a new vinyl top for my Scamp 14 years ago and bought it direct from SMS after I received a sample first. It was spot on to what was on the car so I pulled trigger. There must be only one or two sources for older auto fabrics/materials so one is probably being resold? If price isn’t much of a difference and you’ve seen what SMS is going to send you, why not go with SMS? Will delivery times be the same from either place?

I had a shop install my vinyl top so can’t help out on the install bit

As for item #3, use polyester body filler...preferably NOT Bondo brand, that stuff is not very good. (unless they have improved it, it is usually too stiff and prone to bubbles...but then I haven't used it for years) You will need to study up/follow instructions as to surface preparation etc. Fiberglass reinforced body filler could also be used if you are concerned of water but with a vinyl top I don't see the need.

I have done lead once and it was not worth the learning curve.

As for paint, I would recommend using an epoxy direct to metal primer. This will accomplish 2 things. First it will stick to bare metal but secondly, it will not be dissolved by the adhesive you will use for the top. Do NOT use rattle can paint for this reason unless it is a 2K such as Eastwoods epoxy primer. These cans have a catalyst in them that you activate by smacking a button on the can. Since you say you are not into autobody work, this makes to most sense since you would need to purchase a gun and more paint than needed.
upload_2022-7-20_9-21-58.png

-
Back