Viper Head

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Went to the garage to bring the Demon over. My son was cutting a viper head to see ports and seats. They want to see how much room for larger seats and to angle mill the deck

100_0162.JPG

100_0163.JPG

100_0164.JPG

100_0165.JPG

100_0166.JPG

100_0167.JPG

100_0169.JPG

100_0170.JPG

100_0171.JPG

100_0172.JPG

Too bad they never built a V8 with ports like that. Hemi excluded of course

OMM, can you post a picture of the intake port cross section?

For years I've wished they had done a V8 version of the Viper V10. I'm no expert but sure seems like it could have had been a good one.

Interesting. There actually were V8 Vipers built for racing due to a "if we can't beat them, legislate them out of competition" mindset. A rule change made the 8.0 V10 noncompetitive so they blanked the front 2 cylinders and ran them as 6.2 V8's. Custom crank and cam, no rods or pistons, plugged the lifters and left the valves and springs in place. Made like 620 hp. Pretty cool!

V8 Dodge Vipers Do Exist (Viper Week 2021) - Cody's Car Conundrum

Interesting. There actually were V8 Vipers built for racing due to a "if we can't beat them, legislate them out of competition" mindset. A rule change made the 8.0 V10 noncompetitive so they blanked the front 2 cylinders and ran them as 6.2 V8's. Custom crank and cam, no rods or pistons, plugged the lifters and left the valves and springs in place. Made like 620 hp. Pretty cool!

V8 Dodge Vipers Do Exist (Viper Week 2021) - Cody's Car Conundrum
That thing sounds bad ***!

For years I've wished they had done a V8 version of the Viper V10. I'm no expert but sure seems like it could have had been a good one.
I'm curious in what way you think a V8 version would be better or needed over the V10? The the HP from the V10 is nearly unmanageable except by a good driver. What it needed was a sophisticated traction control system with an on/off switch.

I'm curious in what way you think a V8 version would be better or needed over the V10? The the HP from the V10 is nearly unmanageable except by a good driver. What it needed was a sophisticated traction control system with an on/off switch.

I think the V10 was cool and a V8 based on it would have made a neat motor. Not saying the Viper would have been better with a V8. Other than the sound, I struggle to enjoy the audio characteristics.

And I don't think it would be reasonable to spend the time or effort to cut one down either. A 408 with good heads would probably be comparable.

I just think it would have been a cool evolution of the Magnum to build an 8/10th Viper motor. Made no viable sense for Mopar to do it since they had absolutely nothing to put it in so not saying they missed the boat. Just daydreaming about what-if's.

-
Back