Visited with my engine block today....

-
sounds like my 305 cu inch "Trans Am" Javelin
the one made from a AMX (AMX is a Javelin with the rear end moved up a foot)
with a stretched front end Motor was behind the front axle) same wheel base as stock Javelin
Think early altered wheelbase funny cars
well anyway the 305 motors were made from 360 (4.060 bore ) blocks and said 360 on the side
ours was based on the "NASCAR" 360 block which was 4.250 bore
it also said 360 on the side

Well I spoke to the guys at my engine shop.

My 360/383/387/388 (pick your favorite) only needs one sleeve. It’s in the boring/block surfacer today. He’s going to bore the block to .040 due to some cylinder wear. I’ll ask here how many cubes that is after we are done!

He has pistons in stock from Diamond but none for a 3.79 crank. I told him to order from whomever he can get them from in a timely manner. He does bidness with them all.

We talked about Total Seal rings... we both think a gapless top, napier second and a std. tension oil ring will work. Thats pretty much his std. deal when running on methanol.

He has a local shop that does his dyno work...$400 is the usual price. We'll cross that bridge later.

Now I need to buy one valve to replace the one I lost. And lap all the valves and check spring pressures, too.

I may just pull off the exhaust valve seals or even use a simple umbrella seal... double springs with a damper does not give a guy much room.

I have to be honest... I’ll be glad when this small block is done... I am anxious to get working on that blowed up Hemi I have hanging on my engine hoist!

Film at 11....

Krooser...owns the worlds first 360/383/387/388 in history...a multidisplacement wonder LOL I love it.

400 bucks for a day on the pump is cheap money. I'd do that in a New York second.

Krooser...owns the worlds first 360/383/387/388 in history...a multidisplacement wonder LOL I love it.

400 bucks for a day on the pump is cheap money. I'd do that in a New York second.
The only other guy I called quoted $400 for one hour of setup and one hour on the Dyno. Not sure how that compares with other shops around the country.

Bore X Bore X Stroke X 6.2832 (Pi X 2 ) This is for 8 cylinders . 6 cylinders is 4.7124. 4 cylinders is 3.1416 . You have 386.75 CID .

I have two different auto math apps loaded on my phone...one sez 388... The other 387.... My old school calculator matches my pencil and paper at 383.675.
holy ****, I was close! My buddy got a 440 crank cut to 400 specs , told the guy to do it when he had the time. 8 months later he went back and it was still sitting in the corner. Wouldnt it be great if you could charge them storage fees like a mechanic does when he fixes your car and you cant pick it up immediately? $10 a day off past when he quoted you the work? That would light a fire under his ***.

You didn't find out how big it was ?
Was .030 over....being bored to .040 over. I need help with my math. I had to quit school in 6th grade because the teacher didn't want me and my Dad in the same class.

That is five equations, this method has four . To each is own .

Bore X Bore X Stroke X 6.2832

Bore X bore X Stroke X .7854 X cylinders

How does the first one "know " it s for a 6,8 or 10 cyl. engine --------------I didn`t try it .

With the five step formula you have to remember only ONE given. .785. That's all. Much easier to remember.

-
Back