• Unlimited

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • At least 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
-

john leblanc

Reaction score
1966 Barracuda, 318, low reading voltmeter, Amp meter in dash showing good charge, maximum charge on battery 13.2, under dash voltmeter max read 11.5 volts, which I checked with auxiliary voltmeter, also with headlights and vent fan on high dash amp Gage shows charging, but both voltmeters drop to 10.5 volts, what gives???

with headlights and vent fan on high dash amp Gage shows charging,
It seems like your gage is hooked up backwards.
both voltmeters drop to 10.5 volts, what gives???
Almost certainly the wires on the gage are backwards (or the wiring has been modified)
Amp meter in dash showing good charge
Well its possible the battery is not fully charged because if it showing charge on the ammeter, then the battery is still sucking current.
maximum charge on battery 13.2,
The only way a battery post will be at 13.2 volts on its own is just after being charged, there is a 'surface charge'.
but tell us
Was this voltage reading made when the engine was running and the meter showing charge?
under dash voltmeter max read 11.5 volts
What is that meter connected to?

Almost certainly the wires on the gage are backwards (or the wiring has been modified)

Well its possible the battery is not fully charged because if it showing charge on the ammeter, then the battery is still sucking current.

The only way a battery post will be at 13.2 volts on its own is just after being charged, there is a 'surface charge'.
but tell us
Was this voltage reading made when the engine was running and the meter showing charge?

Ok, b4 I installed new alternator, the old alternator the indash Amp Meter would constantly discharge, and the voltmeter would range 13-14 volts!! The under dash gages, Equis, China brand to which I tried 2 of them both rea

but tell us

Yes, all readings at idle, tried to identical under dash voltmeter and also a voltmeter tester!! Not sure where voltmeter wires r connected, was in car when I bought it, also b4 new alternator with old alternator, in dash amp Gage would constantly discharge but voltmeter would read 13-14 volts!!!

Ok, b4 I installed new alternator, the old alternator the indash Amp Meter would constantly discharge, and the voltmeter would range 13-14 volts!!
Not sure where voltmeter wires r connected, was in car when I bought it,
You may be dealing with a wiring hack. 13 to 14 Volts is about right for operating voltage. It may go down a little at slow idle, especially with lights on.
Yes, all readings at idle, tried to identical under dash voltmeter and also a voltmeter tester!! Not sure where voltmeter wires r connected, was in car when I bought it, also b4 new alternator with old alternator, in dash amp Gage would constantly discharge but voltmeter would read 13-14 volts!!!
OK, lets skip the under dash meter for now,
When you measure with a meter, where you measure, and under what conditions, can make a difference.
The voltage throughout the system should always be the same until it runs through a device (light, resistor, electromagnet, etc)
BUT when current flows through a poor/small section of wiring, some voltage is lost due to resistance.

I mentioned two possibilities before. One is that the ammeter is hooked up backwards.
Flip on the dome light or parking lights and see which way the ammeter points. If shows "charge" we know some wiring is backwards.
The other thing to do is visually follow each of the power supply feeds. Make a drawing to keep track of what you see.

There are two sources of power in our cars; the alternator, and the battery.
There is a supply wire from each that goes to a welded splice under the dash. The splice is wrapped in tape. Leave it alone.
upload_2019-9-8_18-30-33.png

Power comes from the one that is at the highest voltage.
Uusually, when the engine is running, that is the alternator.
upload_2019-9-8_18-31-3.png

On a '66, once the battery is charged, about 4 amps should be provided by the alternator to keep everything running.
Flow looks like this.
upload_2019-9-8_18-35-8.png

And after starting up, it should flow like this. (The ammeter's scale is 40 to 0 to 40 amps.)
upload_2019-9-8_18-41-37.png

For the current to be flowing to the battery, the voltage supplied by the alternator must be above battery voltage!
So when your voltmeter shows 10.5 volts, if that's at the alternator output stud or the battery terminal, or anywhere in between, the ammeter shouldn't be showing charging. That makes no sense.

Typically at idle, the alternator will struggle to provide power to the heater fan, all of the lights, and also charge the battery.
So the ammeter should show less charging or no charging. If alternator can't provide enough power, then the battery takes over.

If you want to test again, charge the battery on a charger. Check the connections at the battery and alternator.
The while the engine is running and some lights or heater fan is on, check the voltage across the battery, and check the voltage at the alternator output stud (marked Batt on the alternator).

If the alternator can produce enough power, and system voltage stays above 13 V or so, current flows like this.
And I think you can picture what it looks like if it can't produce enough power.
upload_2019-9-8_19-10-20.png

Last edited:
Thx for ur time and info, I appreciate!! The volt meter readings I verified by using volt meter tester at under dash voltmeter terminal wires, so I could verify the under dash voltmeter reading, all done at idle running!! Will çheck further 2morrow the info you have sent me! Thx again!!

-
Back