W2 408 Dyno results today !

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
3 good indicators
1. He had a set of W2 Dyno headers on the wall
2. Has a Sun Distributor Machine and knows how to use it
3 Says he will tune for low and high speed.

Frank has been around a while... take a look at this awesome Sun dizzy machine
EDB4B67E-BABD-437F-AEFB-F3AF42C2617E.jpeg
3FF31676-3704-4B34-8358-EFC1C9D28456.jpeg

Right on, look forward to results. As I recall this is the W2 408 you built around the time I had mine done? I think we had similar specs but you had a solid roller cam in yours. Perhaps you could provide us a little refresher on the details? Or is this a different beast altogether?

Right on, look forward to results. As I recall this is the W2 408 you built around the time I had mine done? I think we had similar specs but you had a solid roller cam in yours. Perhaps you could provide us a little refresher on the details? Or is this a different beast altogether?

Same engine as before . I blew a freeze plug and tore it down to make sure it wasnt due to a head gasket.
Didnt like the look of the bearings so had everything measured and replaced.
Forged Scat kit with 20lb Mcleod flywheel
Romac SFI balancer and billet T-chain
W2 heads flowing 297 @ .650
Solid roller 246/250 .650 lift on a 108
Crower SD roller Hippo lifters
Comp Springs 297/605#
HS rockers and Smith Bros oil pushrods
TTI 1 7/8 headers thru 3" out the back
W/ crossover
Victor intake and Pro System custom carb
Daytona Sensors CD-1 ignition

You should test with your headers.
His Dyno headers have bungs in each primary so we can tune fuel distribution .

I will also be swapping the Holley Pro Dominator after the Victor has run .
Time permitting....

His Dyno headers have bungs in each primary so we can tune fuel distribution .

I will also be swapping the Holley Pro Dominator after the Victor has run .
Time permitting....

Are your headers there? If so, it would be nice to make some pulls on the TTI headers and compare them to the dyno headers.

Are your headers there? If so, it would be nice to make some pulls on the TTI headers and compare them to the dyno headers.

I will bring them over when we do the pull . He is setting it up tonight , tomorrow we break it in and retorque the heads then on Saturday we do the full session with tuning . Pretty good deal for $600 !

Love the Grimace on his face, like, “Yea, wait till you get a load of what I got in store for you there sonny!”

Love the Grimace on his face, like, “Yea, wait till you get a load of what I got in store for you there sonny!”

I liked the fact that he took 1 look at the header gaskets I brought in and said " ( I think I have a pair of those on the wall ). And he did ! How many shops have W2 Dyno headers laying around ? The guy has a semi trailer full of Dyno headers .
The Sun Dizzy machine sealed the deal ...lol
The shop that did my engine has state of the art equipment and a full dtno room. But no enthusiasm or even willingness to talk about what to expect in a session .

It's quite the feeling when you are all nervous, and are second guessing every thing you have done, and before you can even say " should we get a little more heat in it??" they flog it :p

It's quite the feeling when you are all nervous, and are second guessing every thing you have done, and before you can even say " should we get a little more heat in it??" they flog it :p
Yeah, cause as they say "either it's gonna go or blow". lol

Yes it is, I was as nervous as a bad girl in church. Mine had a issue with the passengers side rocker oiling that we had to figure out so my stress level was high. We had it running, the valves lashed and the timing set. The operator looked at me and grinned and asked if I was ready? I just nodded my head, He pulled it to 7500 the first pull. All I could think was that the parts I had worked overtime and saved for, all the money spent on machine work and all the time I spent assembling the engine was going to end up on the floor. LOL

It all ended well and I made some great friends at the dyno shop. If I ever build another engine that makes some steam it will be put on a dyno too, some of the best money spent on the build, IMHO.

That guy knows how to “sensor” an engine for a dyno test. 8 pyros and 8 o2s. Hell yea brother.

Your engine looks awesome!

Thanks ! So far so good... oil pressure was at 78 on start up and stabalized in th high mid 60s . Oil temp rose quickly then stabalized at 206 @ 3000 rpms.
Frank was impressed with all the numbers and the fact it fired immediately then ran smooth . Said the carb is spot on so far but we havent even opened the secondaries yet. Fuel distribution is really good so far . Tomorrow it will see full load runs .

263C2308-E4D5-42BC-BEF3-2D2C72385D40.jpeg

93AF183F-905B-4005-B66B-9BCB328E3BF7.jpeg

I was hoping for around 550 hp but could only muster 493 .
Torque was good running 428 ft-lbs by 3800 and 482@ 4700 !
Power dropped off abruptly at 6200 which surprised me for W2 heads.
80155ACC-1FC5-4163-AAD6-2992818135A8.jpeg

That will get you down the the road in a hurry. Are you going to try to look for more?

Jeff

I have to figure out why the fuel distribution on #7 went fat around 4500 on . We fixed it some with a 1" tapered 4 hole spacer .

I was hoping for around 550 hp but could only muster 493 .
Torque was good running 428 ft-lbs by 3800 and 482@ 4700 !
Power dropped off abruptly at 6200 which surprised me for W2 heads.
View attachment 1715816539

That's the 4" stroke. My 416" pretty much tops out at 6,000 rpm. Prior to that I had a W2 3.31" stroke 340 that was shifted at 7,200.

-
Back