W2 roller rockers

-
Not yet.. just amassing parts. Heads ( closed chamber BTW) are at Shady Dells right now.
I still have to redo the car. It should be done by next spring... it would be sooner but this Damn Hemi car jumped into my life !
So I have to put the Dart on hold to pursue it.

Not yet.. just amassing parts. Heads ( closed chamber BTW) are at Shady Dells right now.
I still have to redo the car. It should be done by next spring... it would be sooner but this Damn Hemi car jumped into my life !
So I have to put the Dart on hold to pursue it.

While they are at SDSS why not machine the stands down and skip the econo deal? Much easier to correct for geometry. You can use more lift (IMO you need to net over .700 or right at it).

Much easier to do the regular W-2 deal if you mill the stands and use blocks.

If not, you will need to get the B3 shim kit to fix the geometry.

These are race heads... I bought them from Davescuda a few weeks ago.
.700+ ?? really ? I was thinking 600ish... but plan on having the cam custom ground so we will see whats recommended.

These are race heads... I bought them from Davescuda a few weeks ago.
.700+ ?? really ? I was thinking 600ish... but plan on having the cam custom ground so we will see whats recommended.

You may have trouble getting that much lift with solids but a roller is no problem.

If they want less than a .700 net lift they'd have to explain why, and it better not be the heads don't flow any more up that high. Those heads will easily take that much lift. But the geometry has to be right. I net .600 on Pcar heads. If it was a race engine I'd say you need to net closer to .775 but that is hard to do without moving the shafts more than they can be moved.

Throw lift in it.

Just for giggles, without knowing all the details, I'd say you need about 270-275 at .050, .725 lift with lash no more that .020 hot in a single pattern on a 109 with a 110 LSA absolute MAX and put it in at 107-108.

Let's see how close I am.

BTW, how much head work are you having done?

Also, if it's a TR, take 7-8 off at .050 and the LSA would be 107 in at 105.

I figured I would not be taking advantage of all available HP potential with this build . Since it is a street car I would prefer to keep it lower maintenance and at least a wee bit driver friendly. A 4sp and a wild cam can be a chore to drive at low speeds....been there done that.

I told Ryan to go stage 2 and polish chambers. He said the extra flow with stage 2 wont hurt my performance but will be there in case I change directions in future.

TR ?

I figured I would not be taking advantage of all available HP potential with this build . Since it is a street car I would prefer to keep it lower maintenance and at least a wee bit driver friendly. A 4sp and a wild cam can be a chore to drive at low speeds....been there done that.

A 4 speed? You are pooping in tall cotton. A 2.66 first gear and 4.30's and it'll be like driving cream puff.

You said street/race so I erred more to the race side. If you don't handicap it will a tall first, or a tall rear gear or worse, both you shouldn't have any issues.

Oh....lol ...nope no TR
Gears will definately be dependant of the end build...I know I will be leaving ponies on the table . I just love the idea of a stock looking car that can kick some but.
I will only be able to make 1 run at flat out with no cage anyway.....lol

I was hoping that the early a833 I just picked up had a 3.09 first gear for this vrry reason.... but alas...it appears to only turn 2.66 times

Engine is very similar to mine but I have 418 cubes.

Mainly availability for the Harland rockers. Plus I got 10% off from summit racing when I purchased them.

For camshaft I called up lunati and got a cam recommendation and stuck with that.
I have 3.55 rear gears and 4spd. The tech at lunati wanted me to step up to 4.10 gears but I only do street driving and may never get to a track.
I have debated a lot on going with a dual plane intake but right now I have the mopar m1 intake. Car is a hoot to take off with and slowed the neighbors burnouts down because I believe he now lives in fear with his craparo.

I since grenaded my 4 speed so now saving for passon hemi overdrive. Putting the guts into an aluminum case to shed some weight (cheater parts)

Wow ! Toasted a 833 on the street ?
I dont think I will ever get enough traction with my street tires and poverty caps to do that.

sounds pretty close to my setup,except mine pulls to 7100rpm. blows through the 26inch drag radials at any rpm/speed. So more torque down low won't do much, if it can't stick.
Comp cams custom grind(roller though)
254/260 at .050, with the 1.6 T&Ds, .698 gross lift
Runs on pumpgas, limited to 33 degrees timing,running through 1-7/8 TTIs, 3 inch out. With the Super Turbo mufflers, keeps it calm and quieter while crusing.

Mmmmmmmm....... 6pak.....beeeer...
I loved the 6 pak on my 440 roller motor.
Its all you could hear at WOT

While they are at SDSS why not machine the stands down and skip the econo deal? Much easier to correct for geometry. You can use more lift (IMO you need to net over .700 or right at it).

Yes mbaird

Yes, mbaird! Machine your pedestals and make me a deal on your HS. LOL

sounds pretty close to my setup,except mine pulls to 7100rpm. blows through the 26inch drag radials at any rpm/speed. So more torque down low won't do much, if it can't stick.
Runs on pumpgas, limited to 33 degrees timing,running through 1-7/8 TTIs, 3 inch out. With the Super Turbo mufflers, keeps it calm and quieter while crusing.
Is that a roller?

Mbaird,
Have a look at my w2 408 build we did for my 69 4 speed swinger. I also have the 3.09 1965 four speed gear set. My car is built primarily as a street car. The victor w2 single plane worked very well and as you will see by dyno numbers isn't shy on torque down low. I went fairly stock appearing with my build. I had that Mopar W2 dual plane, it looks brutally restrictive. My rockers are HS.

How much porting was done to your heads?

Comp cams custom grind

Pretty much exactly what I have so far (...1.6 HS rockers) ....what lifters ? What springs ? Im concerned that too much spring pressure will be hard on street driven solid lifters..

Like I said I will be leaving some ponies and some rubber on the table/pavement.
If I were to be serious about 1/4 times I would go big cam and big tires and a TR or single plane.
For suspension I am thinking 2800# SS springs and the Lakwood slapper bars that are on the car for a 70s kinda look.
I know... go with Caltracs.... but a few guys have reported good results using this combo. And I kinda like the absurd look...lol real retro... the competition will assume Im a moron ( sleeper look...haha).

Hello mbaird,

Sorry, I lost track of who I was talking to. You and I have discussed builds before. I see you took the W2 plunge. I think you and I are going to have a lot of fun with our cars this year. Best of luck with your car. Post a few pics for us.

-
Back